Spicy Apple-Lime Chicken Thighs

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Forgot to post this last night. A very simple recipe. DH and I both thought they were very good. Used 4 thighs. Cooked in the oven instead of grilling and then broiled for a few minutes near the end. Cooked at 350 for about 45 minutes

Spicy Apple-Lime Chicken Thighs

3 to 4 lbs. skin-on bone-in chicken thighs

Marinade:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup apple juice
3 TB. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce

1. Wash the chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a 1 gallon zipped-top plastic bag. Add the chicken, turning to coat, seal and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours or overnight if desired.
3. Preheat the grill with all the burners on high for 10 minutes and the lid down.
4. While the grill is preheating, drain the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, and set aside for basting.
5. When the grill is hot, turn off the center burner and turn the other burners to medium. Place the chicken , skin side up, over the center burner, close the lid and cook until the juices run clear when pierced with a sharp knife, about 40 minutes total, turning every 15 minutes and basting with the boiled marinade if desired. Serve hot off the grill. Serves 4 to 6

Source: "The New Gas Grill Gourmet" - A. Cort Sinnes - 1996

Ran a tad short on lime juice, but gave this a 24 hour soak. I used Sriracha, as it was the only hot sauce I had on hand. Actually ended up giving this a bit of a fusion flavor, which I liked. It didn't knock our socks off, but it was very good with the tacos we prepared. I think just a simple addition of salt and pepper will wake this up a bit, and I'm looking forward to trying it again. The apple and lime juices are a nice combo/contrast.

Jim, thanks so much for trying this. Sriracha is what DH used also. I'm glad you liked it.

Back