Spares vs Baby Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Is the main difference in cooking spares rather than baby backs the amount of cook time (about an hour or two longer)? I'm doing my first cook of spares and was wondering if I needed to change the BRITU method other than length of the cook time? Anything else before I get started that I should know about?

spares will run you 6-7 hours or so...BB in the 4-5hr rangee.

I would suggest foiling the ribs after 3 hrs. Wrap each rack in foil and let it go for an hour and a half to two hours then unwrap them and back on the WSM for 35-45 minuets to firm um a bit.

Works well for me---foiling is the key if you ask me!!

I agree foiling spares cuts down on time and helps with tenderness. However. 1 1/2 hrs is too long for me - much too tender. I like 1 hr or maybe 45 min. Personal preference.

Paul

I've been wanting to try foil for a while, but, when I do ribs, they're in a rib rack or 2, and halved...How do you guys/gals foil that many ribs in a WSM? Stack them? TIA

I never foil my ribs. I give them an apple juice shower after 2 hrs. and continue to do so til they are almost done. Then I sauce them near the end. No complaints from the in house judges.

Bill, I stack them and the only problem that Ive run into is foiling too long. I go for 30 minutes and no more than 45 or the ribs are too soft for me. Some folks I feed around here seem to like them falling off the bone but you cant please everyone so I have gone to cooking them semi-soft if that makes any sense.
I do like throwing them on the grill after foiling for awhile and that helps with the texture.

Sounds like ribs next weekend at my house!
DP

In my limited time with the WSM (only about 15 smokes), I've found that foiling spares for over an hour makes for over-done meat. I go 45 minutes to an hour and then back on for 1 to 2 hours more unfoiled. I've found that foiled ribs are juicier in the end.

I stack the foiled meat taken off the rib rack and then put them back on the rib rack after foiling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm doing my first cook of spares and was wondering if I needed to change the BRITU method other than length of the cook time? Anything else before I get started that I should know about? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find the BRITU to be too salty for my family's taste if I don't sauce them as the recipe states. The sauce is a KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce sweetened w/ honey. The sweetness balances out the salt in the rub.

I suggest following the recipe the first time around, keep notes on what you like and don't like and make adjustments next time!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back