Spares too fatty

Jeff (TN)

I did some spares last Saturday and everything about them turned out wonderful EXCEPT the amount of fat on the rib.

I tried selecting ribs with a decent amount of fat marbled through them but I often got more fat than I'd prefer with some bites.

They ended up very tender. I did the 3-2-1 method (though a little less in the foil) and they were coming off the bone tender. The taste was wonderful.

I'm wondering if I needed to do some pre-smoke prep on these to remove fat or should have cooked even longer to render more of the fat.

Any advice appreciated.

It's sounds like you cooked them plenty long enough. The only advice I can give you is to trim as much fat as you can before you smoke them. I trim spares as lean as I can. There is always some fat around the grisly end of the ribs that is not going to render.

It's sounds like you cooked them plenty long enough. The only advice I can give you is to trim as much fat as you can before you smoke them. I trim spares as lean as I can. There is always some fat around the grisly end of the ribs that is not going to render.

ditto what jeff said

I trim spare ribs St.Louis style and remove as much exterior fat as possible. The result is a neat rib with lots of flavor.

I do that now too and they are without a doubt the favorite around this house. I also pick my packages and pass by the ones that look too fat for my liking.

What temp are you cooking at? Maybe not hot enough? I like 275 F.

I do that now too and they are without a doubt the favorite around this house. I also pick my packages and pass by the ones that look too fat for my liking.

What temp are you cooking at? Maybe not hot enough? I like 275 F.

I also had fatty ribs the time before last week and at that time I was cooking at 225- 235. This week After reading Harry Soo's recommendations, I cooked at 275 and they were great with almost all of the fat rendered out.

Jack

I also had fatty ribs the time before last week and at that time I was cooking at 225- 235. This week After reading Harry Soo's recommendations, I cooked at 275 and they were great with almost all of the fat rendered out.

Jack
I think if you are doing 3-2-1 you are better off cooking spares at a higher temp for at least the first stage of the cook. It might turn out to be 2-1-1 but rendering them out to me is the most important step in this stage. I've done them with dry rub and just on a smoke rack I have for my WSM, they've been good that way too but I like BB's better that way.

Back