Spares on a grill

I did two racks of spares on grill this past weekend. I didn't have alot of room so I did them back to back (bones together and stacked), indirect, turning end for end every 15 minutes.
They went about 2 hours that way then 45 min in foil then let them rest, they were done!
Cooled them after a wile and reheated the next day (Sunday), these were the best ribs I have ever made. very, very moist, and perfect texture, the flavour was out of this world.
The complements we're very nice.
I think that the higher heat and shorter time was the key. I'll repeat eventually on the WSM at much higher heat ~ maybe 300*F and see if this works. I feel that if I had entered these in a competition I would've placed fairly highly.

btw, I have no idea what temp they were cooked at.

Anyone else notice anything like this before ?

morgan

Yep--for years all I used was a kettle. I used to do them indirect as you describe and, with fewer coals and more frequent turning, direct, too. I never checked temps either. Lean racks were a bit trickier.

Now that I use the WSM I prefer a lower temp, longer cook as that works better for me. I always have cooking and non-cooking chores to do in the meantime. I've done higher temp ribs on the WSM successfully and do so still when a shorter cook is necessary. (Be careful of sugar(s) at higher temps though.) Try it and see what you think.

Hi Kevin
I thought I'd get this reply from you before I left work
icon_wink.gif

I just really liked the moist, juicy, tender result. I mean really juicy and pulling clean off the bone with just a bit of give. I've been noticing that the slow cooking on the WSM seems to dry them a bit. Maybe it was the ribs ?

I will try it again and report back
icon_smile.gif

morgan

Back