Spares and Chicken Wings Two Ways

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
I did my normal spares this week because my wife can't seem to get enough of them -- who am I to argue.

I also wanted to do up some chicken wings on the kettle. I used Phil Hartcher's recipe for Asian Wings with Soy and Honey (which is posted in the poultry section), and I also did a batch marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo.

Everything came out awesome...I've really nailed down my spares technique.

Here's the pics...

Wings on the kettle...

Ribs ready to be sauced...

Off the cookers...

Sliced for serving...

Sure Ryan, it's nothing Earth-Shattering but it has worked well for me now 4 times in a row with the same results, ribs that are tender, come clean from the bone, but are not mushy.

I always start with the Minion method. Depending on ambient temps I use varying numbers of lit -- but usually for target temps in the 250-285 range -- which is where like I do spares, I'll start with around 15 lit. I immediately assemble the cooker and add the ribs. I run with a 12" clay saucer in the water pan foiled over the top of the whole thing.

I watch the temps coming up and I usually close down two vents when I get within 25 degrees of target range, then I use the 3rd to regulate from there. But my cooker usually settles in pretty well without having to fuss too much with the 3rd vent.

I run the ribs 3 hours in the smoke, then I foil for 1.5 hours, then back in the smoke for about 1 to 1.5 hours depending on when they test tender with a probe between bones. That's really all I do, I use Raichlen's basic BBQ rub modified with turbinado sugar instead of brown, and I use regular ole chili powder instead of cayenne. I sauce with plain old SBR honey BBQ.

The first time I did spares I did 3,2,1 but found they were too mushy for my tastes, so cutting back 1/2 hour on the foil time seems to be the key to get the kind of ribs I like.

Spares are my favorite and I must say yours look awesome! The only problem I see is my phone didn't telling me it was time to eat.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back