Sparerib question

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
I am looking for some ideas from the multiude of experts here. My wife is quite partial to the spareribs we made before I bought the WSM. The cooking method was boiling (gasp) in water flavored with a good bit of garlic, and finishing on the grill - drying them out and carmelizing the sauce. We have tried ribs several times, but she has never been quite happy with the results (my sons have not been disappointed though). She thought all of the attempts were a little light on the garlic.
Has anyone tried a rub that is primarily garlic, maybe with a few other spices to round out the flavor. I would appreciate any pointers you might have. I would like to find a recipe that she would like.

Thanks in advance...

Rick

Hey Rick
\
Heres an idea . How about roasting a couple of garlic heads and making a nice sweetgarlicky sauce to finish them with or is she more to the savory side of things??

Seeyyaaa
jeff

And/or you could flavor-brine first with a garlic brine. And/or you could go with the garlic-based rub (I've made several). Jeff's garlic sauce (or glaze) idea to finish.

To replicate the softer flavor of cooked garlic you can crush a head then simmer it (about 10 min) in water with salt (use a standard proportion) then chill for brining.

For a rub you can try 4 parts granulated garlic to 2 parts granulated onion, 2 parts white sugar; 1 part each ground chile (ancho, paprika, etc.), brown sugar, thyme, black pepper; 1/2 part each celery seed, marjoram; 1/4 part sage. No salt if brining. If not, salt to taste or, better, salt the ribs both sides lightly then allow to sit several minutes till they get really moist, Apply the rub over the salt.

Thanks to the two FL boys for some ideas. I hadn't even thought about brining the ribs, even though I have made several brined turkeys. The sauce my wife makes is a sweet one, so adding some garlic flavor to it may also be a winner. I will have to run these ideas by here to see which one to try next time. Maybe, I'll do enough to try both and we could compare the results.

Rick

I freind of mine serves his up in his bar/rest. He marinades them in Italian dressing oil, pop corn butter salt, and garlic powder and lets them set over night . Just eleminate the oil and salt. Try it that way.

Rick,

You could use a simple dusting of garlic powder, celery salt, salt, and pepper. During the last hour of smoking, put your favorite bbq sauce on the stove with some garlic cloves (or garlic powder) and let it simmer a while. The garlic flavor will meld with the sauce. After an hour or so, slather the ribs with the sauce and return them to the smoker for a bit to glaze.

Just a thought...

Alan

Back