Spare Ribs Dry

Brian Curtis

TVWBB Member
I'm trying to figure out why my ribs were dry the second time. I did a couple of things different, first I used a rib rack for the two five pound racks instead of putting them meat side down for the first two and a half hours and then turning. Second I did not refill the three gallon water pan on my 22.5 WSM during the cook as previously done with the first ribs. Temp never got higher then 260F. I used the same amount of rub as usual. These ribs were cooked about four hours to a temp of 195-200F. So did the ribs turn out dry because of the rack, or because of not topping off the water pan, which had probably used a gallon of water by the time I took the ribs off.

None of the above. The ribs were dry because they were undercooked. Coolk till tender, not to some notion of temp.

Rack or water? Probably neither. Cook bone side down the whole time and test for tender using a probe or skewer between two bones. If the probe goes in easily, they are done. Ribs are too thin to temp and temp won't tell you if they are tender. Was there a lot of chew in them to get the meat to pull off the bones? 4 hours at your temp for spares seems too short on time. 5-6 hours seems to be the norm at ~250

I use a rib rack on occassion, never had a problem.
I always fill the water pan... haven't had to refill it during the cook.
I smoke 'em at 235' for 5 to 6 hours.
Baste after the the first 2 hours then every hour.
Using apple juice in a spray bottle as a baste helps if you do not use a mop sauce.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Using apple juice in a spray bottle as a baste helps if you do not use a mop sauce.
What do the baste and spray give you? I found neither did any good. Just wondering what you like about your ribs doing it your way.

I never mop. I cook spares at 280-325, no water in the pan, sometimes on a rack, sometimes not. None of this matters. If the ribs test as tender they're done, and not done till then.

If the meat doesn't come off the bone easily and is dry they are undercooked. If it comes off the bone and is dry they are overcooked.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I never mop. I cook spares at 280-325, no water in the pan, sometimes on a rack, sometimes not. None of this matters. If the ribs test as tender they're done, and not done till then.

If the meat doesn't come off the bone easily and is dry they are undercooked. If it comes off the bone and is dry they are overcooked.
It seems we've stood and talked like this before Kevin.
icon_smile.gif

IMHO, I think the ribs were not done even at that cooking time and temp. Being a thin piece of meat, it is more important to cook NOT based on a timetable. Every piece of meat; pork, beef, chicken et al, cooks differently. Load your smoker with 12 slabs of spareribs and all will cook differently...

joe

Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
What do the baste and spray give you? I found neither did any good. Just wondering what you like about your ribs doing it your way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Dave, I don't really have a good answer as to WHY I baste except that I've always done it and never thought of not doing it UNTIL now.
Everytime I grill or smoke ribs (BB's or spares), the baste was always a part of it.
I tell you what, this weekend, I'll leave the stuff behind and try it w/o.

Every piece of meat; pork, beef, chicken et al, cooks differently
Oft repeated on Q-oriented boards (and pretty much only Q-oriented boards, which is telling), this is one of the most wide spread myths out there. It simply isn't true. If one butt 'cooks differently' from another, cook-to-cook or even in the same cook, it is not because of 'different' meat, it is because the dynamics of the cook, or between cooks, are different.

Are you saying that when I qued 108 lbs (36 slabs)of spareribs in July, all 36 slabs should have been done at the same time? Some in the upright cooked before those in the main chamber and vice-versa.

joe

No. I'm saying that if they aren't 'done at the same time' it's not because 'every piece of meat is different'. Save for an obvious difference of, say, size or thickness, meat - especially commercially raised pork and chicken - isn't different at all. Differences in cook times are due to differences in cooking dynamics, not the meat items themselves.

This is actually quite easy to understand if one thinks about it from a different perspective: Were every piece of meat different restaurants could not cook as they do and home cooks would be out of their minds from cook to cook. Restaurants produce - and home cooks don't go crazy - because commercial appliances eliminate much of the vagaries and variances because they create a fairly static environment: the dynamics don't alter appreciably.

Cooking in pits outside is different. Airflow can be altered by changes in fuel placement or meat placement; the sun might be on this cooker but not that; a breeze might have an affect on this end of this cooker but not the other - the are literally dozens of possibilities (and possible combinations) that can alter the dynamics of a cook. It ain't the meat, it's the dynamics. Cooking is all about dynamics.

Brian,I did three racks of spares this weekend and they were great. Rubbed 'em,rolled 'em and put them on. 6 hours at 250*,no foil. Sauced them during the last hour,then sizzled the sauce on the grill. I do this every time I do ribs. BB's take less time,but that's another thread.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
HTH

Kevin... thank you for your reply. I don't agree 100% with you. I grew up on a farm, raised and slaughtered beef, hogs, chicken, ducks, rabbits and turkeys. And I started cooking whole and parts of the aforementioned animals. I also worked in a slaughterhouse and cooked in a restaurant. So my experience is varied. I have yet to see pieces of the same cut of meat being identical in size and thickness. I have roasted thousands of pounds of pork in IMUs or underground pits covered by 6 to 12 inches of soil. I did 400 lbs of pork butts and each ended up differently in "pulling" characteristics. In the restaurant, each steak may have weighed the same and that is all. The various marbling determined if it took 4 minute or 4 minute and 30 seconds. Even hotdogs or hamburger patties from the same package may cook differently. I guess my thermodynamics and heat transfer courses in college were wrong; especially my understanding of heat transfer and the Law of Conservation of Energy. Oh well I am retired now so it doesn't matter, huh? Take care and keep on q'ing!

aloha no,
joe

4 min vs. 4 min and 30 secs, to me, hardly constitutes an appreciable difference. I also said, 'ave for an obvious difference [...] of size or thickness' - but this still doesn't mean much re 'every piece of meat is different'. It's pretty obvious one makes adjustments based on a criterion (or on criteria) such as size and/or thickness - your college courses were no doubt accurate.

All that notwithstanding, this usually is not what is meant when one sees the 'every piece is different' phrase bandied about on Q boards (though perhaps it was all you were referring to). One often sees terms like 'bad' and 'stubborn' used to describe a piece of meat that didn't finish like the cook thought it would.

Uh-uh. Meat production - again, especially pork and poultry production - has been so standardized in the past few decades that appreciable differences in muscle structure, fat content, and marbling/connective tissue are virtually unheard of. Though I avoid buying industrial pork and chicken, I have purchased either on hundred of occasions, from wholesalers and retail stores all over the country (I have been cooking nearly 40 years, most of them professionally, as Exec Chef or Chef de Cuisine on both coasts; the past 20 years I've cooked privately all over the country). Having cooked several to upwards of a couple dozen of the same cuts in standard commercial appliances (large conventional or convection ovens, cook-and-hold ovens, pizza ovens), on numerous occasions, one would think that if there were such a thing as 'bad' or 'stubborn' I would have run across it - at least once. Never have.

But this is easily explained because a) the cuts are virtually the same, save for any minor differences in size that are easily compensated for, b) the equipment used creates a fairly static cooking environment, and c) one makes the environment more static - or more even over the course of the cook - by, say, rotating the roasting pans, or starting the smaller cuts later.

This last point is important because it is the thing most Q cooks don't do, won't do, or can't do - the first, because they might not know how; the second, because they're under the impression that they should never 'mess with the meat'; the latter, because with many cookers - or many cooking circumstances (pits in the ground are an excellent example) - it is simply not easy or downright impossible.

I've done 200 pounds of butts in commercial kitchens and, with compensating adjustments, had them all hit done at virtually the same time. I've done 200 pounds in the ground, like you, and had a similar experience to yours (I learned to make one of the butts a larger 'test butt'; when it's tender/pullable, all others are much more likely to be as well). It's not that the cuts were all that different in the pit cook. It's that the cooking dynamics were different - different within the cooking environment, across the pit and top to bottom - and thus the varying finish results.

Whether in ground or above, a WSM or a stick burner, cooking outside allows for a less static environment, and for greater (or at least more varied) impacts on the laws of heat transfer, et al., that you note.

Seems to me Kevin's position on this issue would explain my cooking experiences. When cooking indoors and using the kitchen oven and following a written recipe, which is mostly a static environment, I will achieve similar results time after time. This is not the case when I cook outdoors and the conditions change from cook to cook.

Just caught up on all the replies, a lot of good info. I do believe that my two 5lb spare ribs were leaner then my previous ones which might account for them being a little dry. They still tasted good. They probably should have been on for five hours at least like the previous one. The meat had pulled away from bones on the ends about an inch. I also neglected to check if they were done by picking up the rack to see if it would start to crack or break. It makes sense that each cook may be a little different, each rack may be a little leaner.
Anyway a lot of good input, I definitely learned something.

I for got to mention, the next time I cook spare ribs I will go back to how I did them the first time. I did change the cooking dynamics a little.

Back