spare rib - test for doness...

Ron Hunter

TVWBB Member
Sat. I put on a couple of spare rib racks - 4.1 and 4.6 lbs. Used MM to start, charcoal ring was a little over 2/3 full and used 30 briq.'s to start.

Once the lid temp reached 250, I cut back the vents and was able to keep the heat fairly stable until the cook was finished. Used 8 small chunks of cherry and 1 of hickory (about the size of 3 of the cherry and the brinkman pan with about 1 1/2 gallons of water. I trimmed the spares to a 'modified Kansas City' meaning I cut out the breast bone but kept the skirt.

This was my first time to smoke or cook ribs - grilled or smoked. Apparently I don't truly understand the test to see if they're cooked -- Slightly pulling at a bone near the center to see if it will tear.

Had both ribs on the top rack - When I tested for doness (real word?) the smaller rack appeared complete about 30 minutes before the large. Both racks were overcooked. However the larger was worse. Total cook time was approximately 5 hours. Some was on the edges but that was expected because the skirt edges fit to the edge of the smoker. The taste was great - but even the center sections were a little tougher than I expected or experience when I buy ribs at my favorite eatery.

Since spares have more meat - should I cook them by temp? I didn't even uncork my instant read.

Is there another method for testing the ribs that may help a "true newbie?"

BTW - the ribs were from Kroger - could that be part of the problem?

Thanks

I have never done a tear test. I insert a probe between the bones. When it just goes in smoothly they're done to me.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by overcooked. It is true that the ends of the racks--if near the edge of the cooker--can overcook and become dry due to the higher temps in those areas. But 'tougher' suggests that the ribs were undercooked.

Can you elaborate on their condition? Did the meat separate from the bones easily?

Kroger gets their ribs from the same plants nearly everyone else does. Not likely an issue there.

Typically they'll take about 6 hours at 225 at the grate, 5 at 250 grate might have been too long.

The test is to pick up the rack and try to tear the meat between two of the bones. I'll use a pair of PVC gloves so I can pick them up and grip them good for the tear test.

To quote from the spare rib recipe in the cooking topics section. "Take hold of two adjacent bones toward the middle of the slab and give them a pull. If the meat offers a bit of resistance but then tears easily, you know the ribs are done just right."

5 hours would be a very short cook for spares, ime. With your description, I really don't have a clue as to why they would have finished that fast.

To test the spares, take a toothpick and see if it slides easily between 2 bones. Then take 2 bones and pull gently to see if they tear. If they pass both test, they're done.

I would not recommend using internal temp of meat for spares.

Paul

I'm not quite sure what you mean by overcooked. It is true that the ends of the racks--if near the edge of the cooker--can overcook and become dry due to the higher temps in those areas. But 'tougher' suggests that the ribs were undercooked.

Can you elaborate on their condition? Did the meat separate from the bones easily?

The edges were crispy - but I recognize why. I didn't try a probe, just the tear. The meat didn't fall off the bone - but no meat stuck to the bones either. I see what you mean by maybe undercooked - however since the smaller rack came off 1st and it was somewhat juicer and more tender than the larger, indicates undercooked may not be the issue. Next time, I'll try the probe and tear test. That makes more sense. If I can tell when a baked potato is cooked surely I can learn when ribs are also.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I've got pulled pork down pat - now I'm trying to increase my horizons.

Thanks again.

There are plenty of folks more experienced with the Weber than I you can listen to. However, you may try a smoke period unwrapped then a period (4-hours or so) of them being wrapped, then bring them out for the final hour or so.

It sounds like maybe the top rack was basting the bottom rack which may have caused the variance in moisture conditions. If for some reason your internal temp was too high or higher than you were aware and they by passed the rendering process, that would be a cause as well.

4 hours in foil? Maybe more like 45 minutes to an hour, at average ~250° BBQ temps.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> 4 hours in foil? Maybe more like 45 minutes to an hour, at average ~250° BBQ temps </pre>

LOL, I guess that's where my inexperience with the Webber may come in. I was going by the majority of Memphis In May competitors and our experience. Most teams seem to foil, truth be known we use a hotel pan with a rack at the bottom and apple cider below the ribs with foil over top instead of foiling (yes for 4- or so hours after the smoke process).

There are many ways to skin a cat..Just find the one that compliments your time, smoker and style.

Our best showing with that process was 2nd place ribs in Memphis In May, and beating Jacks Old South in Jacksonville, TN. Experiment and enjoy.

To make things easier for you I suggest trimming the spares to St. Louis style. That way your ribs are much more closer in thickness all over and easier to tell when ready.

Just don't throw away what you trimmed. Throw it on the smoker as well. It'll give you a mid smoke snack as these pieces cook much faster than the rest of the ribs.

Originally posted by Ed Pierce:
Most teams seem to foil, truth be known we use a hotel pan with a rack at the bottom and apple cider below the ribs with foil over top instead of foiling (yes for 4- or so hours after the smoke process).
Not much chance of getting a hotel pan in a WSM. The process used most often here involves adding a little liquid and sealing tightly in HD foil-- braising really, so it doesn't take long to get to "fell off the bone" if you don't watch what you're doing.

Makes sense, that is basically what some teams do. I use to do that with a little beer (it seemed to be handy at the time) when I did them in my $19.95 bullet smoker. That thing is 10 years old and the wife still uses it for her smoked turkey and chicken...

Back