Spanish Fideua

John_D

This is a dish that originates from the beautiful town of Gandia Spain. It's prepared in a similar manner as a paella, but it exclusively uses seafood and the rice is substitued with fideo pasta, a short cut thin pasta. Note that I don't use fixed measurements, so the following is approximately what I use for a 20" paella pan on top of the 22" kettle grill. The pictures are with an 18" pan.
  • Prepare a sofrito: I dice a few tomatoes, chopped or sliced garlic, 1 tsp of pimento (smoked spanish garlic) and a little salt. Others may want to add onion, I don't, but that's just personal taste.
  • Prepare a fish broth: I've been using haddock, but the real recipe calls for monk fish. If I use calamari, i'll add it to the broth.
  • Add a pinch of saffron to a half a cup of warm water.
  • Once the sofrito and broth are ready, I light a full chimney of brickets and then spread the coals out evenly on the grate.
  • Set the vents low and place the pan on the grill, add enough olive oil to saute the sofrito. If I'm adding shrimp I will slightly cook them with the sofrito, but take them off after a few minutes.
  • Mix in about 1 1/2 to 2 cups cups of fideos for the 20" pan, saute briefly and then add the broth; about 2 to 3 times the amount of pasta and stir.
  • Add the saffron.
  • Add in any other seafood, such as shrimp, mussells, clams, scallops, calamari, etc.
  • I'll bring the contents up to a boil, cooking it uncovered and slowly reduce the heat as it cooks. Taste it as it cooks and add salt as needed, but note that as it cooks down, it will concentrate, so be conservative.

20200726_143702_HDR.jpg

20200726_144855.jpg20200726_150717.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this recipe, John! Looks fabulous, and a neat twist on the paella theme! Time to dust off the paella pan! :)

R

Do you use fideos and, if so where are you finding them?
I have seen José Andres break up angel hair pasta when he says he can’t find fideos.
I was just thinking about shedding my paella pan but, now???
That’s looks smashing!

Do you use fideos and, if so where are you finding them?
I have seen José Andres break up angel hair pasta when he says he can’t find fideos.
I was just thinking about shedding my paella pan but, now???
That’s looks smashing!
Barilla makes a fideo and we get it from our local Stop & Shop supermarket (no affilation from either). It's hit or miss, not always available, so we buy a few boxes. Also, I think breaking angel hair pasta would work fine.

Last edited:
I will have to keep an eye out for them, Meijer’s stocks quite a bit of Barilla products, thanks.
Yeah, I figure if José Andres is satisfied with the result I would be too.

He is an amazing man, does a LOT for disaster victims, great sense of humor. I saw him do a fideo video on Steven Colbert a while back (maybe last summer?) and it was 1-hilarious and 2- looked delicious!

He is an amazing man, does a LOT for disaster victims, great sense of humor. I saw him do a fideo video on Steven Colbert a while back (maybe last summer?) and it was 1-hilarious and 2- looked delicious!
José Andres will be feaured on NBC tonight (Saturday May 1st) at 8PM ET on a show Inspiring America. It will then be rerun on MSNBC on Sunday (May 2nd) ay 10PM ET. ...remembered this post and thought I'd pass this along.

Thread bump, I was just shopping and spotted the Barilla fideo on the bottom shelf! I think this might have to happen when my granddaughter spends the night next time!
Thanks for sharing the recipe John.

Back