Southwest meatloaf?

maxwell moss

Would someone be so kind and post a recipe for a Southwest meatloaf?

i have searched for it and cannot find the link. I swear i have found it before! TIA, David

Dave, I found that recipe via google too. Is that the same recipe people are using on this BB?

I thought southwest meatloaf was popular here?

Don't know. I've made meatloaf a few times, but I make them with just ground meat,some seasoning, and a little BBQ sauce mixed in. No onion, peppers etc. I found this one here SW meatloaf You probably found it too.

Max, Just make one of your own up.
Groundbeef or beef and pork mix
onion, chopped
some mild green chilis, you can use canned 4oz (instead of bell peppers)
cilantro
mexican oregano
fresh ground pepper
salt
cumin
garlic
some woosty sauce
chili powder, mild, med or hot
standard egg or 2,3.... (pending how many lbs. your making) to bind along with bread crumbs, and milk, and/or beef stock. Heck you could even through salsa in there if you wanted to. Meatloaf is so wide open, have fun with it.
After you get it mixed up, take a small piece and flatten it out to the size of a quarter and fry it up. Write down the amounts you put in as you go. Adjust seasonings as needed repeat till your happy and cook it up.
icon_smile.gif
It's more fun this way and then you can call it your own.
icon_biggrin.gif

For my SW meatloaf I do pretty much what Bryan described ... for me pace picante sauce, fresh minced garlic, lots of dehydrated onion flakes, no woos, dried cilanto, fresh toasted whole coriander ground ... I've used cornmeal and bread crumbs half and half

I add some liquid beef bovril ... for 5 lbs gr meat I use 3 eggs 1 - 1.5 C salsa ... 3 tsp salt ... I just eyeball the rest of it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
I always loved this picture ...
ml017.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nice pic there Bud, Now I'm hungry. I never made a Southwest Loaf but after seeing yours I think I'll have to throw one together. I was just listing some Southwest ingredients for him, hoping to get him to whip up his own. Your own recipes always taste better, IMO
icon_biggrin.gif
I know the woosty isn't SW but I love the stuff in meatloaf and burgers, and........ I just love the stuff.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Shawn, how much pace picante for 3 pounds of meat? Do you leave out other liquids? Or does the picante just go on top when plating? TIA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxwell moss:
Shawn, how much pace picante for 3 pounds of meat? Do you leave out other liquids? Or does the picante just go on top when plating? TIA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I mix it right in before cooking with some raw eggs (say two xl eggs for three pounds) and I serve some on the side with guacamole and sour cream. For 3lbs I'd say about a cup of pace. No more than say 1.5 - 2 tsp salt to start with.

If you're uncertain, of the spices we mentioned adding the only one to really watch out for is the ground cumin. It can be so strong it can easily overpower your meatloaf. For starters in 3lbs I'd suggest no more than 3/4 tsp.

I'd post a recipe but I just throw them together.

Back