South Central PA People -- Good source for brisket?

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
This is for everyone in south-central PA (Lancaster / York / Harrisburg) -- have you found any good sources for packer briskets in the area? I understand the Wal-Mart briskets, when available, are now enhanced. Has anyone found a good local source of briskets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik H.:
I understand the Wal-Mart briskets, when available, are now enhanced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Erik, Not true. I was at the Lancaster Super WW 2 weeks ago and they usually only carry flats at Over $3.50 lb don't remember the exact price not enhanced. The York Super WW right near the York Galleria carries both flats and Packers not enhanced. Packers are $1.68lb flats same price as Lancaster.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Erik, Not true. I was at the Lancaster Super WW 2 weeks ago and they usually only carry flats at Over $3.50 lb don't remember the exact price not enhanced. The York Super WW right near the York Galleria carries both flats and Packers not enhanced. Packers are $1.68lb flats same price as Lancaster.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will teach me to believe everything I read online about ALL beef at Wally World being enhanced. :)

Bryan -- is Brown's in Shillington still the only source for Humphrey's locally? I'm in Harrisburg now so a trip to Reading takes even longer now....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik H.:

Bryan -- is Brown's in Shillington still the only source for Humphrey's locally? I'm in Harrisburg now so a trip to Reading takes even longer now.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Erik, Not sure. You might want to give Humphrey a call (1-814-849-2302) and ask if there's one close to Harrisburg. I remember him telling me about several places near me but FM Brown was the closest for me. HTH
As far as the WW meat goes, I find most of their pork is enhanced, not the beef.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan -- I went to the Walmart on 462 tonight, and they're out of packers. I found one of the meat guys and he said they've been out for a few days; he thought some would come in today, but no dice.

I made a detour on the way home and checked out the Mechanicsburg store -- all they had was enhanced flats. Yuck!

One final point -- I called Humphrey's and Reading is still the closest. My Dad went up and cleaned out F.M. Browns of 40 lb bags for the season. They still have 20s if you need any.

Erik

we'rein Mertztown. We shop Walmart in allentown. They are one of the few places that have brisket packers. Usually they have picnics but not buttes or whole shoulders. Still better than the competition.

Bryan -- I went to the Walmart on 462 tonight, and they're out of packers. I found one of the meat guys and he said they've been out for a few days; he thought some would come in today, but no dice.

I made a detour on the way home and checked out the Mechanicsburg store -- all they had was enhanced flats. Yuck!

One final point -- I called Humphrey's and Reading is still the closest. My Dad went up and cleaned out F.M. Browns of 40 lb bags for the season. They still have 20s if you need any.

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Erik, Thanks for the info. Yeah same for me 2-3 weeks ago at the 462 one. Talked to Willie the butcher and he said they've been out for 3 days. I'm good in the charcoal dept. I have 30 something bags of Rancher in various places.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I did stop by the Swatara one (Rt. 322 about 1 mile east of the Eisenhower Interchange) and they had packers, but they were ungraded and quite small (8-9 lbs). I ended up just buying a nice flat at Sams.

Back