Sous-Vide BBQ Ribs

Aileen S

After 10 months of experimentation, I am ready to post my recommendations for making baby back ribs using the combined techniques of smoking and sous-vide.

For references see:
A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

and

Thomas Keller's Cookbook "Under Pressure"

Here goes:

1) Prepare ribs with your favorite rub.

I used Texas BBQ Rub, as I had some around. I suggest a light coating, as the sous-vide step intensifies the spices. I find that cutting up the ribs in 3-4 rib segments facilitates fitting them in the vacuum bag. They are also an excellent single serving size. I cut the ribs before I rub them down.

2) Smoke ribs at 175F for 1.5-2 hrs. Use your favorite wood.

note: I used a "mini" Minion method by not using as many lit and unlit briquettes. This is because the original Minion was designed to last for 12 hours and I didn't want to waste any charcoal. I suggest a low temperature, like 175ish, because you really just want to smoke the meat, not cook it.

3) Remove ribs from smoker and seal in vacuum bags.

I use a standard Foodsaver vacuum sealer from Costco. I bought ready to seal Foodsaver Freezer bags (bought from somewhere on the internet) in pint and quart sizes. I double seal the ends, just in-case. Using the uncut rolls is also possible, but really takes time to seal all those ends, especially when you are making a large quantity of ribs. Remove as much air as possible.

4) Sous-vide ribs at 155ºF for 18 hours.

I think anywhere between 12 and 24 bours is fine, depending on how much "tooth" you want.
At 18 hours, they are very nearly "fall off the bone" - but will have tiny bits of meat still on the bone. Circulating water bath is the best and most accurate way to go.

5) Remove ribs from the water bath and cool in an ice water bath.

6) You now have 3 options: eat now, store in refrigerator, or freeze.

Eat now: Remove ribs from bags. Brush ribs with your favorite sauce and finish on a charcoal or gas grill to give them that "just off the grill" look.
Refrigerate: I would eat them in the next day or so. Finish as above.
Freeze: I don't know what the shelf life is for this because they don't last that long at my house. I have used the ribs 1-2 months after smoking. You should thaw the ribs in the bag before finshing as above. The best way to so this is in a water bath, which I set at 155F.

ADVANTAGES to this method:
- Juicy, smokey, ribs that are fall of the bone
- predictable endpoint for when ribs will be ready to serve.
-You can smoke/sous-vide large batches of ribs days/weeks in advance of an event, and they will still be perfect on the day of service.

DISADVANTAGES:
- A circulating water bath is expensive. Sur La Table is supposed to come out with a home sous-vide unit soon, but I haven't seen it yet.

Happy eating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Aileen,

Very interesting concept for preparing ribs! Certainly something I'll be thinking about doing at some point. Thanks!

###

Nice work Aileen! I have both sources you mention, and I have been continually researching this technique for about a year now. I have not begun to experiment with it though (other than lobster tails in a butter bath).

I love the connection between sous vide and "low and slow" barbecuing. There is certainly a similar goal to break down connective tissue without drying the meat. The difference is barbecuing should deeply caramelize the exterior (IMO the big draw back to sous vide).

Do you find any issues with your rubs during sous vide? I understand some flavors can act odd under these conditions.

and I always sous vide duck confit.

I like the fact that less fat is required. I made a rather large butter bath to do 4 lobster tails and the temp still plummeted when I dropped them in. If I bagged them with butter, I could have an infinitely bigger bath of water.

The upside to not bagging was that we had gobs of melted lobster flavored butter to pour over our baked potatoes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, we tried the lobster in the butter bath for New Years Eve. Delicious, but what a mess! Plus, I can't even remember how many pounds of butter we bought in order to fill a pot! Next time, I'm bagging the lobster with the butter.

With regard to the rub, I would suggest using a little less than usual because of the intensifying of the flavors during the sous-vide. I'd be cautious with garlic. Also, I wouldn't add sous-vide in butter (at a low temp)for long periods of time (like 48 hours) because it gets a bit rancid.

In order to get the beautiful carmelization on the outside, you will need to finish the ribs (heat them quickly) over hot coals or a hot gas grill. I lightly brush with BBQ sauce when I finish the ribs so the sugars can burn a bit too. I haven't tried finishing the ribs dry, but I'm sure it would work. Finishing with a blow torch gives them an off flavor IMO.

I forgot one other reference: Sous-Vide Cuisine by Joan Roca and Salvador Brugues

Finishing with a blow torch gives them an off flavor IMO.
Agreed.

I never sauce ribs for service. Though I haven't done spares or backs sous vide, there is no reason why one couldn't finish without sauce if sauce isn't desired. Works fine for rack of lamb, short ribs, whatever else I've done.

I forgot one other reference: Sous-Vide Cuisine by Joan Roca and Salvador Brugues

worth reading, if I have read the others?

Aileen, what kind of set up do you use?

PID and rice cookers seem pretty limited in use.

Once I'm off for summer, I'm going to do some tests with pots on my halogen range to see what kind of temps I'll be able to maintain. I'm curious to see if a large pot on 1 or 2 will be low enough.

There is a great, albeit long, thread all about sous vide on http://forums.egullet.org/inde...howtopic=116617&st=0.

A few months ago I purchased a piece of old scientific lab equipment on ebay. If you are patient you can find one for under $150.

I purchased a temperature controlled water bath with circulator pump and a digital temperature display. I use ping pong balls to gather condensation and then drip right back into the water bath.

These things are pretty large and heavy so be cautious about shipping costs. I managed to buy one locally and was able to pick it up in person.

I use the standard food saver to vacuum seal the food.

Lastly, do your homework before messing around too much with sous vide.

I have the same.

A few years ago, when home sous vide all of a sudden became all the rage, even ebay proces were high for used equipment. I got mine from a used lab shop in Denver. Shipping rates hadn't gone up yet so it wasn't bad at the time.

Great thread - I would love to have enough room to buy a system. My kitchen, pantry and kitchen storage room are pretty maxed out right now.
icon_smile.gif

I use a lab immersion circulator clamped onto a lobster or stock pot covered with foil (to reduce evaporation). If I am making a large batch of ribs, then you can clamp it to the side of a cooler that has a side hatch. The beauty of the cooler is that it has insulation too! The immersion circulator stores easily.

Hey,

You gotta have better vacuum bags than I do, I bet mine would break upon contact with those sharp bones.

How long do you need to reheat them before serving if cold stored for later use?

Back