Sourdough Pancakes

Andy Linn

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys - recently found a copy of Lowbush Moose (and other Alaskan Recipes) by Gordon Nelson at my local goodwill. It has been interesting and have enjoyed working through it a bit.

I am a pancake guy and usually go with a baking mix - made up at least the night before. Pancakes in an eight inch cast iron skillet has been a staple. Gordon had a recipe in his book for using a sourdough starter.

Where has this been all my life?

Starter
2-1/2c lukewarm water
1 pkg active yeast
3c all-purpose or whole wheat flour

Hotcakes
3c sourdough starter
1 egg beaten (2 eggs if richer)
1 c milk
1 tbl shortening, oil, bacon grease or melted butter
1tsp sugar or honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Going to have to give this a try. We have been making sourdough bread for the past few months so I already have the starter.

I've been leaving the milk out and like the recipe better that way. I've also found that leaving the starter at room temp for 24h and then at least overnight in the fridge yields a good texture.

That definitely looks like a good recipe.
Sourdough pancakes are great, as are many other baked goods with sourdough. I almost never use yeast. You just reminded me, I need to get my starter out of the fridge and feed it. Planning a loaf tomorrow evening. Pancakes are a spur of the moment thing here, so I usually throw together some Krusteaz, per the package directions, and add a good dose of starter to it. Do the same for biscuits. All the flavor of sourdough and all the ease of a packaged mix. My energy level in the morning is zero :)

I use my starter "discard" frequently to make up pancakes and waffles.....they are awesome with that tang from the starter, especially if it goes overnight!

That definitely looks like a good recipe.
Sourdough pancakes are great, as are many other baked goods with sourdough. I almost never use yeast. You just reminded me, I need to get my starter out of the fridge and feed it. Planning a loaf tomorrow evening. Pancakes are a spur of the moment thing here, so I usually throw together some Krusteaz, per the package directions, and add a good dose of starter to it. Do the same for biscuits. All the flavor of sourdough and all the ease of a packaged mix. My energy level in the morning is zero :)
Feed that beast, Bob! :)

R

Thanks. I needed that second reminder :)

I only keep 1/4 cup or less this busy time of year, so need 2 big feedings before baking a loaf. Starter is strong enough that I can feed in the evening and again early morning and it'll be plenty active to put together a loaf by early afternoon. When the cooler months roll around, I go back to a more traditional approach.

Back