Source for smoker wood in Calgary/area?

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
Can anyone, perhaps Shawn W. has some recommendations, direct me to a source for smoke wood chunks in the Calgary or Edmonton area. I seem only able to find Luhr Jensen wood chips.

Thanks
Ken

Sure thing Ken, Barbecues Galore carries chunks, two locations in Calgary: Edmonton Trail at 35th Ave NE and 9th St at 58th Ave SE.

They carry apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite, oak, alder, beech, olive, white cedar and maple.

A little later this year they should have some pecan chunks (Weber). They also carry all of the BBQers Delight pellets and Smoke Stix (giant pellets). THe Jack Daniels pellets are awesome.

I don't know if this one is still viable but about 5 years ago I scored apple and mesquite logs from a landscape supply place right beside the airport, quite cheap compared to the retail packaged chunks. I don't recall the name of the business though.

I also suggest you give the birch we have in the area a try. I take the bark off and I think it's just fine.

Thanks Shawn.

Birch is certainly easy to come by.

I think I know the landscape place your are talking about -its north of the airport, correct?

these pellets sound interesting. How do you use them?

We need to find someone to bring us fruitwood clippings from the Okanogan!

Thanks again Shawn.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I know the landscape place your are talking about -its north of the airport, correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ya, north side

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">these pellets sound interesting. How do you use them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I use the little pellets in an enameled steel coffee cup on top of the coals. The Smoke Stix I break up into about 1" discs with a large slot screwdriver and just throw them on the coals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We need to find someone to bring us fruitwood clippings from the Okanogan! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ya, I'd like to get apple, cherry and I'd like to try peach and pear.

Back