Soot in a clean BBQ

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
Hello All. I spent a Saturday a couple of weeks ago cleaning my Weber Genesis. Took the grates, flavorizer bars and the covers in the bottom of the BBQ out. I scrubbed it as clean as I could get it using some degreaser and soap and water. I put everything back together and have done lots of cooks on it. But now I am noticing soot on all my food since the cleaning. This wasn't happening before but has been for over 2 weeks every time I use it . Last night I let the BBQ get up over 500 and the soot on the food was a little better but still there. If anyone can help me figure out and stop this from happening that would be awesome.

Thanks

Do you have stuff flaking off the inside of the lid? Just scrape off the loose stuff with a plastic putty knife.

There is no flaky stuff on the lid. I spent an hour or more with my plastic putty scraping it during the clean. I could see metal again which last about a day or two.

I'm curious about your temps. My Genesis with all three burners on full, the temps get a little over 600. Maybe slightly lower if is is really windy or cold. Are all three burners and the crossover running right? Just a thought.

Back