Something to grill or BBQ for a Vegetarian?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Looking for ideas for things to grill or BBQ for a vegetarian. Veggie burgers and grilled pineapple have been done too often. Good suggestions wanted please......

Eggplant (with different spices/toppings) is a staple for my daughter. Portobello anything as well.

asparagus, corn, summer and fall squash, red or white potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, any root vegatable

I have a vegetarian friend, and my standard for her, which she really enjoys, is usually a grilled portabella in the form of a burger of some sort. They are really versatile, and work well with a multitude of flavors. Grilled bella, ciabatta roll, blue cheese, red onion, tomato, lettuce, balsamic, and enjoy. Super tasty, even for a carnivore!

A while back, I was watching Triple-D on Food Network -

They showed a place where they grilled a "burger" where the main component was a really thick hockey-puck of BEET (the big reddish-purple ones that grow in the ground).

Don't remember the details, but when it was marinated / rubbed, cooked, topped, and served - it looked pretty darned tasty!

I do a veggie mix in a aluminum pan, first layer yukon gold halfs, layer of sliced sweet potatoes, layer of sliced yellow squash, layer of sliced zucchini, some quartered tomatos, quartered or chunks of vidalias, don't forget jalapenos. Cover and indirect on the grill for approximately an hour depending on the temp your cooking at. Can add fresh green beans, whatever you have or enjoy.

Grilled hearts of romaine lettuce with drizzled balsamic vin and shredded parm on top is very tasty.

Paul

I've served smoked beans to vegetarians, together with grilled mushrooms. A couple of them have told me that they never have tasted anything that good, but then smoked beans are not usual to get here in Norway.

Ray Lampe's book had a grilled portabella marinated in italian dressing that I could actualy consider. Even though I am a meataholic.

I was a vegetarian for 25 years. I don't think I have too much to add to the above recommendations.

All veggies are good/better roasted and with a little char. The carmelization is key. After that the spicing and flavor notes. Roast the vegetable on the grill then finish with spices and flavor notes.

Get a nice SS mesh pan so that you can toss over flaming coals and you can add another dimension to the whole deal.

Anything you can do on an indoor oven range you can do on an outdoor grill or a smoker.

Thank you to all for the great ideas. I will experiment with some of these, and include smoke and bbq sauce too. I may also try to smoke some rice and then include it in a fried rice dish with some sauce.

Back