Something different

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
With a surplus of various ingredients laying around, I chose to make something a little different. I wanted to make up something similar to corn cakes, and fill them with BBQ and chilies.

So I Googled the recipe for El Torito's Sweet Corn Cakes, and adapted them for this recipe. I filled these with chopped up rotisserie chicken, diced red onions, and fire roasted green chilies. Topped off with Monterey Jack cheese. They turned out amazing. The slight sweetness and fine crumb of the corn cakes, contrasts with the spicy and slightly smokey filling.

My next batch will likely be using buckboard bacon, more chilies(really good) and maybe a scrambled egg and cheese topping.

DSCF1463.jpg

I have already eaten three, they are rather addicting.
DSCF1462.jpg

Oh Tom, they do look amazing. You're making me hungry Man! I Googled the recipe and got 1000 different ones. LOL! Did you use the Master Cook one? no wait, there's more than one Master cook version. Nice job man, def a change of pace from the ordinary.
icon_cool.gif

The one I got was from Pastrywiz. If I wasn't so tech deficient, I would just put up a link. But yeah, I'm that lame.

I had to double the recipe just to get 16 of them. They were done in about 35 minutes at 350. I let them go for 30 minutes without the cheese on top, then put diced Monterey Jack on top, cranked up the broiler, and let em go till they were bubbly and browned. About 5 minutes.

Tom, those look great...for lack of more colorful words
icon_wink.gif
They must be homemade cornflakes? Look larger then store bought? Let us in on your recipe man!

Brandon

These look good. Seeing them reminds me that I've been wanting to do some stuffed 'shrooms.
icon_smile.gif

Tom,

OMG. You can't go wrong with green chilies and Jack cheese. Doing them on the Q is the ticket. I'm gleeking right now! Nice pics. Wondering if you could also adapt to use crab instead of chicken?

Chris

Yes, that is the right recipe. I included a note in the side dishes section to clarify the change in cook time.

I'm sitting here at work, finally getting a break and enjoying a few now. They reheat wonderfully and are quite moist. I just know the next batch with bacon and peppers is going to be great too.

Edited to add: On the next attempt I will use less of the corn mix per muffin. It is a tad too dense texture wise, and would make more room for the roasted chilies which I think are an awesome contribution. Plus the recipe will ultimately make more per batch. The original recipe called for using frozen corn, which I'm not a fan of, or substituting creamed corn. I instead opted to go with canned corn. They are certainly healthier for not using canned corn, and I don't think the added moisture would have helped with forming them.

I just used an ice cream disher to add approx. 1/8 cup or so to each greased cupcake tin. Then spreaded the mix up against the walls of the tin and proceeded to fill them. I was originally planning on putting the remaining mix in a pastry bag and piping on the top to cover the filling, so as to let it be a bit of a " surprise" but it was late, and I wasn't motivated enough to do it. I might do that on the next batch though.

So a made a batch of these last night this time using bacon, and more, various peppers. Not the best results. The bacon overwhelms the flavor, and is way too salty.

All the effort I put into these last night, and I essentially end up with salty quiches. I spent a good deal of time on each step, and ended up not too thrilled with the results. I think sticking with the BBQ meats are the trick. I will try them again and use some chopped up pulled pork.

Back