Some recent quick cooks, nothing crazy

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Had a tri trip I cooked the night before…..tried to keep my cuts thin for a cold beef sammie, with a quick horsey sauce and a baby ceaser salad. I did have croutons but for some reason I don’t remember until the very last second.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1136.jpeg
    IMG_1136.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 9
Made a darn weak spineless chicken……about 375 for a bit over an hour and about 450 ish to colour and crisp it up at the end for about 30 minutes or so……cooked to 160, rested for about 20…..this was the juiciest thing I believe that base come off the E6 so far…..used some citrus while marinading….thats the mark right up on the breasts……the MRS has been bragging about it, even to a trained chef we met at a local brewery the other day….made me chuckle a bit. Ceaser salad again and some good flat top taters.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 9
Yesterday morning I made sweet potato hash on the slate…..I tell yeah, these griddles cook at warp speed…..still getting myself mellowed out enough to get it right…..this job would take about an hour inside previously, but this cook was about 25 minutes.
Boiled, cubed sweets…but only for 5 minutes or less or they literally fall apart into something you cannot eat.
Medium heat on the griddle cause high heat is insanity for any food…even a steak sear.
Ground pork mixed with a lot of herbs, cumin, salt n pepper….
Onion and a mix of peppers that get the same spice as the meat with less herb.
Cook it all accordingly, then combine and serve with a nice runny egg on top….the egg yolk mixed with the sweet potato is something else if you haven’t had it before……. Made for guests before, always a big hit.
Tabasco sauce is the final addition for this great breakfast.

I want to get shots or videos of me given er on the Slate either video or pics but I tell yeah there isn’t much time for messing around.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 9
Tonight I am making 2 halved chickens, fits the grill better than spatchcock does.
These are mainly for lunches or a bit to go with my lime, tequila flank steak tacos tonight…..a couple pics so far.
Homemade guacamole, corn n bean salsa…..I have a mango that might sneak in there too…..this taco night is gonna kick some butt….a couple pics so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 12
This is awesome, Darryl.
Thanks man….

Flank ready to go on, 3.5 hours marinade and the chicken came off….not as dark as on the E6 but learning a few things…it tasted great.
The sous chef is getting the details inside ready and I am out back finishing the beef……she is a big help, I may not give her enough credit sometimes.
The cook will be about 10 minutes and hopefully a 10 minute rest……incoming awesome taco pics coming up soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6
I’d eat everything you’ve cooked here. Tell me more about the slate and where you see it fitting into your tool set. A flattop interests me. I just want to understand the use and utility model.

I’d eat everything you’ve cooked here. Tell me more about the slate and where you see it fitting into your tool set. A flattop interests me. I just want to understand the use and utility model.
Might have to give me a bit more time on that one….I am so committed to charcoal it is hard to move food over.
Steaks without question look and taste good on the slate but it doesn’t touch the charcoal grill.
It cooks fast which is nice but I still have some recipes to do to see how much I like it….Philly cheese, jambalaya and some sort of smashed potato is coming soon….also my bud who has a blackstone filled me in on a wing cook which involves smoking them first very low but then hitting them up on the griddle with oil to get that crispy skin…..he says I won’t do them any other way so I am interested.

Straight up though, the Slate is a nice piece of equipment without a doubt…..it does everything very well but it’s like diner food.
Good and bad, I go through tons of oil and paper towels…..lol….but it feels like if someone was counting calories then this would make them go over the edge and go mental…..
I want to get some pics and more details for you guys but it is indeed tricky.
I will have more for you soon.

Might have to give me a bit more time on that one….I am so committed to charcoal it is hard to move food over.
Steaks without question look and taste good on the slate but it doesn’t touch the charcoal grill.
It cooks fast which is nice but I still have some recipes to do to see how much I like it….Philly cheese, jambalaya and some sort of smashed potato is coming soon….also my bud who has a blackstone filled me in on a wing cook which involves smoking them first very low but then hitting them up on the griddle with oil to get that crispy skin…..he says I won’t do them any other way so I am interested.

Straight up though, the Slate is a nice piece of equipment without a doubt…..it does everything very well but it’s like diner food.
Good and bad, I go through tons of oil and paper towels…..lol….but it feels like if someone was counting calories then this would make them go over the edge and go mental…..
I want to get some pics and more details for you guys but it is indeed tricky.
I will have more for you soon.
Check this guy out. He’s like the king of flattop cooking.

The balance on the pics for tonight’s dinner…..I would change a couple minor things but it was very tasty for sure.
Her plate n mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 12
He** yeah, Darryl!! This all looks phenomenal. Great cooks, great thread!
We do our best!
With any luck I will have a lot of good threads or ones like this popping up.
I am supposed to eat what I have now frozen....I have a time limit to go through the food at the house and based on what I see it is going to be a lot of eating so I will try to share if there are items that are not extremely boring to look at.

Last edited:

Back