Some Porchetta and a strange ice cream

Jeremy Calow

TVWBB Super Fan
G'day folks, its been a hot minute since I was last here sharing a cook. Couple of weeks back I had the urge to do something and grabbed a couple of small skin on pork bellies to do a couple of porchettas for a few friends.

I mixed up a double batch of chorizo and fried that off, and got to dicing up some apples and fennel and garlic.
I0000J79sG.CAnD0.jpg
I0000O.b9uQAa8FQ.jpg

Butterflying up the pork bellies I got to adding the internals before trussing them up.

I0000pAgozwNJcwI.jpg
I0000eRRCkEJlFeg.jpg
I0000hhfzuXQtXGA.jpg

Dusted them up and dropped them off on the 18.5 for a few hours before tossing them in the oven with a broil to crisp up the skin a bit more

I0000_fIdb_.EC4k.jpg
I0000ecabbp2XUgs.jpg

Went with some potato salad, and a jalapeno mac n cheese that apparently I neglected to photograph in my hurry to eat.. such is life. But I did manage to photograph the desert... Which was a dark chocolate and satay sauce Ice Cream... because, I could I guess hehe..

Mixed up a quick peanut satay sauce, and then made an extra dark chocolate custard based ice cream, and after a run in the maker I added ribbons of the satay sauce throughout. I gotta say it was a surprise hit. The pungent salty umami of the satay sauce worked really well with the under sweet dark chocolate ice cream. So there was that!

I0000OHlEVZWZPvQ.jpg
I0000JYiXwaBTx5k.jpg
I0000uGGRvWYGv2Y.jpg
I0000DgkNUC0_TYs.jpg

Oh, wow. That ice cream sounds positively delicious.
It was one of those things that started as a quirky thought in my head and ended up as a surprisingly good idea.. I made up some ginger molasses cookies and made some ice cream sandwiches with it... Now there was a spark of pure genius I gotta say..
I0000snpnzIhIBhU.jpg

The Japanese are gonna say hold my sake. Wait until you try red bean or green tea ice cream. :)
You’re definitely not wrong there, but it’s not “normal” for over here that’s for sure! I’m also a big fan of red bean and mung bean bubble tea so now you have me thinking!!

Back