Some beef ribs

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Beef spares are good smoked but every so often I like to grill a few for a change of pace. The hardest thing is finding some that haven't been trimmed to death.

I like to cut up windfall oak branches and cook beef over the embers. The moss and lichens had long burned away before I started cooking.

The ribs I found at the store weren't super meaty but they weren't trimmed down to nothing, either.

Just a little salt and pepper and a couple of minutes on each side is all I needed.

Just how I like them! I just happened to be cooking for one and that always makes it easier.

Your guests won't be happy if you serve them pork spares that look like this but beef's a different story.

Brad

Bob, my experience is been that it's hit-or-miss with prepackaged grocery store ribs and I just happened to get reasonably lucky. Best bet is to find a place that will cut them to order or even do it yourself by trimming a standing rib roast, but then the cost goes up.

John, they weren't too bad at all. Short ribs would've probably been a very different story, though!

Brad

they look good. the last time i made beef ribs they rendered down to almost nothing. I had a nice rack of smokey bones though
icon_smile.gif

Back