Some basics- oiling and cleaning

Matthew C

I've been reading through some of the Weber documentation and it all says to oil the food you're going to cook rather than oil the grill. I've read on here many posters doing it the other way around. Does Weber have it wrong? What's the communal consensus on the topic?

Cleaning the grill- I've been surprised not to find any mention of it in the documentation from Weber. Is that purposeful because they don't believe it's necessary? Any benefit other than personal preference to not cleaning it, giving it a scrub down after taking the food off, or after letting it warm up?

When it's convenient and practical, I'll oil my food. Otherwise I'll rub down the grates. Either way, I haven't had issues with sticking (and I have SS grates, which are probably more prone than any for stickage).

As far as cleaning, I leave the greasy bits on the grate after each cook to prevent moisture from settling on the surface. After each preheat, I scrub them down before laying more food on. I think this is standard operating procedure for most these days.

I usually have oil on my food, and sometimes don't oil the grate, I have not had a problem with food sticking, unless it is fish, then I oil both.As far as cleaning, I usually brush the grate when I am done, or when the grate is hot for the next cook. A hard lesson I learned about cleaning my grate, do NOT scrub it with an SOS pad! I did this, rinsed it very very well, and Matthew the grill tasted horribly like soap! No matter how much I rinsed it, it was never the same. I went to my local BBQ store and they said never to do this.Apparently there is some sort of coating on the grates, and I scrubbed it off.Ended up having the worst metal taste on my food.Obviously I had to buy another grate.So now, I just brush it clean, and not worry about it "looking" so new and clean. Sorry for the long post, just didn't want you to make the same mistake I did..

I often dry off the surface of my food before grilling... It can help with even browning... A lot of it depends on the cut of meat and the fire. As long as the grates are brushed clean, my food doesn't usually stick. Just try not to touch it too soon... Once the char properly develops, it's easier to crack loose.

I usually oil my food when I remember. I always preheat my grill then clean the grates and I make sure the grates are really hot before I throw food on. I like to hear that 'sizzle' when the meat hits it. As long as your grates are hot food shouldn't be sticking to it.

I don't usually oil unless I'm cooking fish. Then a spritz of Pam is used (I love those aerosol firebals.
icon_smile.gif
) I've found two things that work for me: 1) a hot, clean grate. I preheat the grill, clean the grate, go inside to get the food, then quickly clean again before throwing the food on. 2) Not flipping too soon. Give the meat enough time on the first side and it never sticks.

I don't oil anything 'cept fish. I just make sure the grate is good and hot so as to not let the meat stick. And it doesn't. I use an oiled plank for the fish.

I just use spray olive oil the first time I use the grate(standard weber kettle grates). From then on I just let the grate heat up and I use the brass wire brush to clean before putting food on. That is how my Dad did it my whole life and it works. No need to add oil after the first time. Depending on how much you grill scrub it once at the beginning of summer. But with fish I just a basket that is oiled.

If one subscribes to the theory that oil on the meat is a good thing and possibly provides a better browning effect, then oiling the grates is only going to help the meat at the contact points whereas oiling the meat will allow for a better browning over the entire protein. I oil the meat, not the grate. I am not sure if it benefits my steak but thats what I do.

It looks like I am going against the grain here. However, I shut down my 22.5 OTG immediately I am finished (the charcoal goes out and I use it the next time). When I start up again, I heat up the grill (five minutes minimum after dumping the chimney and replacing the cooking grille), clean it with a brush and then oil the grille. My thinking is the pre-heat chars whatever is left from the last cook, the brush removes it and the oil cleans it. I only use a very small amount of oil to dip the paper toweling in. No flare ups, no fuss, and a clean grille.

Whether or not I oil the food depends what I need for the food, not what the grille needs.

FWIW
Dale53

Back