Soaking Grates

Joe F

TVWBB Pro
I just started using a 24" diameter, plastic hot water heater catch pan for a soak basin.
Home Depot $9.98 + 1" PVC plug or you could valve it and connect to a hose drain.
Works great for up to 22.5" grates.

293yo0j.jpg

8vq3w4.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea, but unless you have stainless steel grates, that looks like a guaranteed way to make your grates rust years before they would if you did nothing but brush them off before and after each cook. Soaking cast iron grates would be a disaster. The chrome plated wire grates don't much like moisture, either. Building up layers of cooked on crud is the only thing keeping the chrome plated wire grates from rusting.

Great idea, but unless you have stainless steel grates, that looks like a guaranteed way to make your grates rust years before they would if you did nothing but brush them off before and after each cook. Soaking cast iron grates would be a disaster. The chrome plated wire grates don't much like moisture, either. Building up layers of cooked on crud is the only thing keeping the chrome plated wire grates from rusting.
Just dry and hit 'em with cooking spray.
Works good, lasts a long time.

i think he means cleaning grates from second hand pick ups

i thoroughly soak and scrub 2nd hand grates on arrival to the stable

I soak mine in the sink and they never fit right....you can only get half in the water at a time. This is brilliant. I'm getting one. Thanks , Joe F.

Thinking outside the box...or outside the pan...or the sink..er, uh...I think you get the message.

Since I'm headed out toward Lowes and HD (they're just about a half mile from each other), I'll pick one up, too.

Thanks for the tip.

You can even get SWMBO to paint the underside and use it as a firepit rain protector when not used for cleaning. (The rock is to keep it in place due to a bit of a high wind/rain even last night.)

Back