So You Live In A Townhouse.................

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
And you like to grill in your Weber kettle, and you just got a WSM for your birthday.........

What could possibly go wrong?

The townhouse association banned the use of using a charcoal grill or smoker with no warning!

It's true!

My daughter and her husband bought a new house at just the right time!

Banned charcoal grills is common in my neck of the woods for this resident typology. Most townhomes in a resort community up here are in the rental pool and visitors do not always know what hot coals can do if not disposed of properly.

It is common to have HOA's ban them here... Let's just say that we have a responsive fire department.

It's not just HOAs & condominiums. Apartments are unfortunately having ban charcoal, if not a flat-out ban on all grills. When we were living in the Chicago area, I was pretty friendly with the management, and got some of the taies. As an example, a tenant calls for DishTV or DirecTV service. It's right in the lease that you cannot affix anything anything to the outside of the building, and the tenants don't understand that they're still responsible for the installer's activities. Shoot, the tenants above my g/f's apartment took to leaving leaky garbage bags on their deck that leaked all over my g/f's deck. Yeah, that's not gonna be acceptable....

Disregard for other people. Sort of common, unfortunately.

It's not just HOAs & condominiums. Apartments are unfortunately having ban charcoal, if not a flat-out ban on all grills. When we were living in the Chicago area, I was pretty friendly with the management, and got some of the taies. As an example, a tenant calls for DishTV or DirecTV service. It's right in the lease that you cannot affix anything anything to the outside of the building, and the tenants don't understand that they're still responsible for the installer's activities. Shoot, the tenants above my g/f's apartment took to leaving leaky garbage bags on their deck that leaked all over my g/f's deck. Yeah, that's not gonna be acceptable....

Disregard for other people. Sort of common, unfortunately.
My son and his family live on the bottom floor of an apartment building. They have a patio. The family above them would set out a kiddie pool on their deck. At the end of the day they would not dump it over their railing, no, but would just dump it raining used pool water including diaper water :oops: all over my son's patio.

That’s one of the big things I dearly love about my patio, I just wish neighbors would use chimney lighters! The gentle wafting of lighter fluid does bring back memories but, I have started cringing when I smell it.

At the end of the day they would not dump it over their railing, no, but would just dump it raining used pool water including diaper water :oops: all over my son's patio.
I can just hear it now... "Well, what am I supposed to do with the water?" "That's something you should have thought of before putting a kiddie pool out there."

The chit-chats I had with complex management were both enlightening (people really can be this stupid????) and disheartening (people really can be this stupid. :( )

I should point out that I (& my g/f) lived in one of the nicer apartment complexes without being classified as "luxury." My buddy (we shared an apartment for almost 6 years before moving to the Chicago area,) rented an apartment that was decidedly more economical. He found a note one day on the message board admonishing tenants about urinating from the balconies....

I built a lot of townhome apartment projects and I can only recall three patio/deck fires.
One was from a candle that must of blown over during the night.
The other two, from gassers that were lit while being to close to the outside wall.
Vinyl siding melted, building wrap caught on fire and the wall sheeting was next.
It's easy for them to ban charcoal grills but if the tenants don't use common sense......

Back