So what led you to buy a 26" kettle?

I bought mine because I didn't have one, and it was only $22 at a yard sale. I use it only a few times a year but it's nice to have it when I need it.
wow $22.00 omg
It was a lucky find. The people running the sale had posted a CL ad and listed it as "extra large", so I emailed them and asked specifically about it. Fortunately this was midweek and their sale started Friday, so I was there right at 8am. This was probably in 2007 or 2008 as the car I brought it home in died in 2009.;)

I just ordered a 26 3/4" OTG, I haven't picked it up yet.

I bought the 26 3/4" OTG for the larger cooking area, and as "Daryl - D.B." mentioned, the ability to have multiple cooking zones.
I use my 22 1/2" OTG often but wanted something bigger and more flexible.

I started with an 18 1/2" WSM and wound up getting a 22 1/2" WSM for capacity reasons.
I use both WSMs and I plan on using both OTGs.

Last edited:
A 26" model is appealing, but the value isn't there for me. I understand some need the extra space, but when you're talking twice the price for something on a base designed for a smaller kettle, that's confounding for a company so known for their quality like Weber.

When my OTP bites the dust, I wont hesitate to go 26. the room is luxurious when using indirect. Hopefully there will be a 26" OTP by the time mine bites the dust

It's like cooking on a football field. It's amazing how much difference 4" makes.
steak-on-the-grill-smiley-emoticon.gif

It was my first purchase and didn't realize the addiction it was going to cause, along with this forum. You are correct, I did not know that the lions share of accessories, correction, nearly all accessories for grills revolves around the 22". The only accessorie I could find was the craycort CIG. With the help of a friend here, they helped me produce a warming rack. That being said, I love it and wish Weber would come up with more for this product to support it. Maybe you're right and they do pay attention to this site, I hope so. It's fun to have options as I'm learning here and we are limited to our imagination.....eh hem, and wallets. :)

It was my first purchase and didn't realize the addiction it was going to cause, along with this forum. You are correct, I did not know that the lions share of accessories, correction, nearly all accessories for grills revolves around the 22". The only accessorie I could find was the craycort CIG. With the help of a friend here, they helped me produce a warming rack. That being said, I love it and wish Weber would come up with more for this product to support it. Maybe you're right and they do pay attention to this site, I hope so. It's fun to have options as I'm learning here and we are limited to our imagination.....eh hem, and wallets. :)

It's too bad an accessory company like Cajun Bandit or someone else would not make some of the accessories if Weber does not want to. I've built a custom rack and side tables and will have a rotisserie done soon. I really wish I could get the grill with the removable centre section for CI options.

Randy, thanks for the link. I have looked at the schematic several times admiring the smoke rack, which I built, but did not ever realize they were offering this unit for the 26. I was more thinking about a rotisserie, the grill rack with the removable centre for various inserts, that kind of stuff.
Wow this would be huge on the 26!

Randy, thanks for the link. I have looked at the schematic several times admiring the smoke rack, which I built, but did not ever realize they were offering this unit for the 26. I was more thinking about a rotisserie, the grill rack with the removable centre for various inserts, that kind of stuff.
Wow this would be huge on the 26!

Absolutely, sir, my pleasure. I actually think Chris is working on a rotisserie for the 26. I've seen a pic, and that thing is suh-weet! Just don't know how far along he is with it. I'm with you, I really do wish that there were more accessories or aftermarket goodies offered for the 26. I guess they're just not interested in taking the chance of low sales, perhaps? Good grief, I know I love mine! We have three of these 26's, a 22.5 and a Jumbo Joe (that's the stove during comps...lol...I do beans, sauces, etc on it) that we take when we compete. It looks like I'm a Weber rep out there...lol.

So I've heard some leg complaints on the 26'ers. Is that fairly common or something to worry about?

It's........wellllll.....not great, by any means. Probably my only major complaint with the grill. That's the main reason that I put the legs that Cajun Bandit makes on all mine, similar to the WSMs. Very stable, but not very mobile. So, I have a plastic barrel dolly that I use that the legs will fit into to push them around. That tends to work pretty well.

I bought mine new last year for the extra space. It doesn't work like the 22.5, but after you get it dialed in it's fine. I have had no problems with it at all. I like the fact that you can fit 2 of your 9X12 trays on it at once, that's a big plus for me.

I've had mine about 8 months and have cooked on it a dozen times or so. Love the extra real estate, but it is a fuel hog. Much like the 18 compared to the 22 WSM.
I got mine for large cooks, when the 22 OTG was too small. Heck, most of the time they are all running. Talk about a Weber Rep. All I need is a banner and a bigger EZ-Up.
Complaints are pretty much covered above. Can't think of anything else to add.
Would I get it again? Heck yes, I would.

Back