So, that could have gone better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
OK, so I just put the spareribs on. I've never done spares before, just a bunch of baby backs and pork shoulder and chuck roll.

Anyway, I gotta tell you, the whole trimming/cutting part got away from me. I was cutting stuff off and trying to pull membrane, and I can tell you that mine look nothing like Chris' pictures.

I just took the whole load of shrapnel and put it on the smoker.

Actually, I think you guys would probably recognize what's on the bottom rack: three rolled racks of ribs (membrane only partially removed, alas).

But on the top rack it looks like a bomb went off. Strips, triangles, rectangles. Big stuff, little stuff. You get the picture. (I wish I had a digital camera -- I'd show you!)

Even with the strange shapes. I'm still expecting good eats. I learned a while back that the WSM makes up for my mistakes...

Anyway, what's my next step for learning how to cut spares the right way?

Thanks!

Practice will help and a sharp knife will too. After this batch you probably learned a good lesson. Sharp tools makes the job alot easier.

DP

lol! Been there, done that! Those little strips and triangles will get done sooner, but they'll still be good. The more you do, the better you'll get at it.

The nice thing about all those scraps is they get done faster , so you get to snack...er taste-test as the ribs are cooking!
icon_biggrin.gif

Practice and sharp knives will help. Also, I keep a pair of pliers in the kicthen drawer for help in removing the membrane.

I know your pain Doug! I just put on a couple of slabs myself. The membrane used to be my biggest challenge when prepping spares. But I have to admit, I've gotten better. Lucky for me, my butcher cuts the spares into a St. Louis style rib and leaves all the parts with the package. I still have to remove the skirt and membrane and I usually will cut off some of the thin/small end of the slab so it'll fit lengthwise on the WSM. The rest of the parts just go on the smoker where they'll fit and they do make for some good snackin! My rib cut question is this: How many bones is considered a "full" rack? Eleven? More or less? Whatever fits?

Rick

There's a rib prep video about 2/3 of the way down this page. I believe it's loin backs shown, but the membrane-removal method is of note.

Doug
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just took the whole load of shrapnel and put it on the smoker.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really deserves a chuckle. Been there done it. As others have said, the chef's treats are worth it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back