So, I’ve got gas

Bill Collin

TVWBB Member
My crowded patio has a Big Green Egg and 2022 Genesis S-335 sitting on it, with a 18” WSM off to the side that’s rarely used anymore. Because the Genesis was a clearance item and used less than my Egg, I am running on propane for the time being. That means that I have a NG supply for my former Summit that’s currently not being used at all.

So, if you were going to add a single-purpose device to your outdoor setup, would you get a gas smoker, flat top, pizza oven or something else? I can’t say I’m *missing* anything in particular, but just knowing that line is unused has my wheels spinning. I can smoke on the Egg, but it takes some babysitting. I can also do pizza on the egg quite well. The idea of a flat top is intriguing, but maybe just getting the Crafted Griddle for the Genesis would cover that. I guess I’d be leaning toward a quality NG smoker if I had a gun to my head.

Obviously, I’d like to take advantage of the gas line, but in reality with winter setting in there will be limited opportunities once December rolls around here in Northern Michigan. Heck, maybe I should just get a NG space heater to try to extend my cooking season? Your ideas are appreciated in advance.

I've got a large NG grill that's almost never used for anything but the rotisserie and side burner. If none of your cookers have these features, I'd be looking for a reasonably priced NG Grill that has both.

In my situation I would go blackstone.
Things I feel that would help me cook better that I do not own.
Flat top is one of them.....along with a dutch oven I can't live without any more and going to buy this week.
Trying not to cave into the cheapest one I can find.....also trying not to buy le creuset........

I've got a large NG grill that's almost never used for anything but the rotisserie and side burner. If none of your cookers have these features, I'd be looking for a reasonably priced NG Grill that has both.
This gasser is essentially for my wife and yes, side burner and rotisserie are on it’s playlist. I’m planning to replace the manifold once Weber makes it more widely available and convert it over to NG.

There's a lot of different and easy ways to add flat top capability to the gasser (propane or gas fired). So I would keep the gasser and griddle it up. Which eliminates the need for a blackstone.

Also, I find the gasser to be the only device that ever gets touched during the cold winter months.

So I'd go Ooni Coda 16 pizza oven as the appliance to hook up to the NG line.

THIS. easy, simple and adds value.

Now I'd ditch everything else and just get a WSK. But then you'd have my setup in your bakyard. Note, I have a NG Summit S670 w roto, that I have for sale as it never gets used. I'm down to one single cooker, the WSK S6. But I see the value of a NG gasser for ease of use and quick cooks, and the roto would be nice to do if you want to spin food.

Brett, if your patio had a natural gas firepit, you could grill during what we call winter.
It does. i have to connect the fire table. 8' long custom built. and i have the fire glass too. i really need to get this project completed.

1664835034489.jpeg

Fire table on the left. Base on the right with the side tables inside the base. NG stub at grade and electrical conduit too.

Last edited:
Brett, if your patio had a natural gas firepit, you could grill during what we call winter.

Fire table would be nice/useful for NorCal winters. But pretty useless for Bill in Michigan.

My weekend ski house is as cold and snowy as it gets. I use my gasser all winter long because of these three features to my grilling area there:

1. Has an over hanging roof.
2. The house blocks the prevailing wind.
3. Grill is located 18 inches from the door into the kitchen.

The guy who designed/built my house must have been a grill guy. Extremely well thought out.

Last edited:
Gas smokers are hard to control the temps unless you spend big $$ , a flat top is a lot of fun until its time to clean up lol .

In my situation I would go blackstone.
Things I feel that would help me cook better that I do not own.
Flat top is one of them.....along with a dutch oven I can't live without any more and going to buy this week.
Trying not to cave into the cheapest one I can find.....also trying not to buy le creuset........
If you have a Le Creuset outlet store near you, go there or call them. I snagged a very nice Dutch oven from them for about 40% off. Still not cheap, but a very nice Dutch oven. Otherwise, just get the cheapest one you can find. Seriously, I have a Lodge enameled pot that I use for beans and I can’t say I can tell the difference.

If you have a Le Creuset outlet store near you, go there or call them. I snagged a very nice Dutch oven from them for about 40% off. Still not cheap, but a very nice Dutch oven. Otherwise, just get the cheapest one you can find. Seriously, I have a Lodge enameled pot that I use for beans and I can’t say I can tell the difference.
Or, get on Goodwill’s Online Auction site: www.shopgoodwill.com and go to town. It’s loaded with LeCreuset, Staub, Lodge, you name it. Pretty easy to find a bargain.

Now I'd ditch everything else and just get a WSK. But then you'd have my setup in your bakyard. Note, I have a NG Summit S670 w roto, that I have for sale as it never gets used. I'm down to one single cooker, the WSK S6. But I see the value of a NG gasser for ease of use and quick cooks, and the roto would be nice to do if you want to spin food.

I’m a lifelong Weber guy, but would be hard-pressed to give up my Big Green Egg after just the first six months of ownership. But, my wife will NEVER run the BGE - she’s going to want a “turn on, press button, cook” experience.

I’m a lifelong Weber guy, but would be hard-pressed to give up my Big Green Egg after just the first six months of ownership. But, my wife will NEVER run the BGE - she’s going to want a “turn on, press button, cook” experience.
My wife doesn’t cook. My problems are solved 😂😂😂

I'm interested in your thoughts on the WSK S6. I've become quite fond of Kamado cooking and wonder if you've used a BGE. I'm having a hard time figuring out why I would want a WSK instead of BGE other than weight. I have a performer and just hanging a different cooker off what seems to be essentially the same cart looks very cheap to me. I'm no BGE snob, but it's a substantial quality product.

Attachments

• BGETable.jpg
    BGETable.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 3

Back