Snake River Farms

Michael Wilson

Evidently they've updated their on-line store. Now offering three different briskets: < 14 lbs., 14-17 lbs., and > 17 lbs.

Went the process of putting together an order, then came the HOLY CRAP moment. On a $139 order, shipping was going to be $130.12!

I live in Boise, Idaho, and have only been to their website once. Honestly, I was not surprised at the cost of their meat, since it is American Wagyu (Kobe) beef. The high cost of shipping is probably due to 1.) their standard of shipping via 2-day FedEx or UPS; 2.) the meat being hand packed in a re-usable insulated cooler and frozen gel packs to maintain the appropriate temperature during shipping. They said it will arrive either frozen or chilled.

It's my view that if you are willing to pay the price for Kobe beef, then you are also willing to pay the incredibly high shipping costs (if you cannot pick it up locally).

Just my 2¢...

Barret

They have it fixed now.....and are giving a 15% discount to repeat customers. Two wagyu briskets on the way to Houston.

Randy

Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison of a packer from Costco vs. a Wagyu brisket. Can one tell a large difference in the end product?

I don't know, but bbq-ing is about relaxing, and I'd go nuts if I ended up overcooking a brisket that costs $80 before s&h. I guess if competing I could stomach the investment, but after seeing the price, I'll be happy with the $2 lb. choice Angus packers from Sam's Club.
icon_smile.gif

I have cooked them on several occasions now. All supplied by SRF. My opinion (echoed by other BBQ'ers who've had them) is that they make some of the best briskets ever. They just seem to come out perfect everytime and, more importantly, they taste better. I sometimes find brisket to be rather bland w/o help from the rub and smoke. These wagyus seem to have a stronger, beefier taste in the center of the cuts. The interior of the meat also seems to be browner than regular brisket when cooked.

I also like the size they sell. Absolute monsters that barely fit on my 22 inch WSM. I only do them for special occasions.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
I'd go nuts if I ended up overcooking a brisket that costs $80 before s&h. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why you practice on thos 2 to 3-buck a pound briskets, and get into the "comfort zone" before going for the big-time meat!

I'm not there yet, but I'm definitely planning to work on my brisket-skills in the near future. (My first try was decent, but I know I can do better.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's why you practice on thos 2 to 3-buck a pound briskets, and get into the "comfort zone" before going for the big-time meat! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely! My confidence isn't quite there for a $ 80+ piece of brisket.
I guess more importantly: will there be that much of difference to validate the $$$?
Without doubt, (even if not cooked completely properly) there will be a difference... but???

I would also go nuts if I messed up an $80 piece of meat! I have not yet smoked a brisket, but I have a bunch of practice smokes in my sights for next summer. I'm with Ron G. in that I want to get in a bunch of practice with $2 - $3/lb. briskets first before I even come close to attempting a much more expensive cut (like what I find at the grocery store before Snake River Farms).

I'm looking foward to my practice smokes! (yum)
icon_smile.gif

Barret

Wagyu brisket isn't difficult at all. Trim off the entire fat cap. You don't need it since the meat is so marbled with fat. It will cook faster than a regular packer. Also, you smoke it to a lower internal temp....~185 degrees.

Back