Snake River Farms Spares

Ryan Burke

TVWBB Fan
A couple of weeks ago my wife got me two slabs of their Berkshire ribs. One rack is 1.3lbs the other is 2lbs. I have smoked a lot of spares before but the weight of these has me wondering if I need to adjust how I normally cook them. I have always smoked spares on my WSM at 250-275 for 3 hours, then wrap for an hour and after unwrapping I cook until about done then sauce. Anyone have any experience with these before or suggestions on cooking? I am thinking about dropping the temp to 225 and maybe not wrap? Thanks.

I have got a Berkshire pork belly, cured into bacon, and a Berkshire ham from Wild Fork and they cooked the same as those cuts from past cooks of the same non Berkshire cuts, but I have not done ribs.

I am a huge fan of Berkshire pork but I have never ordered from Snake River. Over the years I have bought Berkshire pork ribs and Boston butts from both Heritage Farms and D'Artagnan. Sometimes I get them from my butcher, who uses these suppliers, as well. The D'Artagnan ribs come 3 slabs in a pack, averaging 8 lbs., so I reckon they're about 2 1/2 lbs each, bigger than what you have. I smoke these ribs pretty much the same as you do. 250-275 for 3 hours, but sometimes check at 2 1/2 hours if I suspect they're doing well. Wrap no more than an hour and finish 10 minutes or so. I think you can smoke these as you always do, but check yours at 2 1/2 hours you'll be fine. They may be well on their way at that point. Good luck!

Back