Snake Method vs. The Minion Method

C Boesing

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone. A Weber noob here.

I just picked up a Performer Gold, and in the next few weeks I'd like to smoke a pork butt which leads to my question.

After reading some posts on here, I've found out about the Minion Method and the Snake Method. Which would be better to use? Is one easier for beginners than the other?

Any advice you can all give would be great.

Thanks!

In my opinion snake/fusion MM is simply the easyest and the best in T control.
I show you what I mean.

IMG_6710 di BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_3913 di BBQness, su Flickr

As you can see first of all you have to understand how many briq lines you have to line to get a certain and stable T. In my config i usually put some water in the pizza pan so if you use water the lines will be more. If not water the pizza pan works like an heat diffuser
After some experiments you will be able to cook for hours (up to 19 in my 26.5 OTG) at a really fix T.

I use the MM for higher temps and snake/fuse/"C", or whatever you wanna call it, for lower temp cooks. For me the snake works really well to smoke dry jerky, fish, or sausages.

(Of course my snake is never a work of art like Enrico's.)

I like them both, and would love to see Jim Minion come back and contribute to this forum again.

Enrico, interesting set up. how many lit coals do you start with? What is that metal ring that holds up your pizza pan?

Enrico - thanx for posting pix of your 26.75 OTG set-up - I just took an 8.5 Lb butt off my 22.5 OTG that I used the snake/fuse method on - this was my 3rd attempt; I use a 4-briquette configuration about 80% around the circumference with hickory smoke wood every 3-inches or so - I like lotsa smoke - I have to say, your bricks look MUCH more presentable than mine did.

Anyway, I put it on at 0615 this AM, & lit it with 12 fully-lit coals. It took almost 2 hours to reach 260* (my preferred temp for smoking butt), and it lasted until 1330 hours this PM - not as long as I would have hoped, probably due to the higher temps I use. Anyhow, with an internal butt temp of 178*, I finished it off in a 300* oven, and it's now resting in a cooler - wrapped in double layers of foil and clothed in a towel - after achieving 200*. I'm definitely going to try your set-up on my 26.75 next time!

"C", wasn't trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to share with you my experiences with a grill similar to yours.

Regards,

Rooster

Hi Enrico
Thanks for the info as I am looking to smoke some fish, a buddy of mine just finished a trip and has a load of salmon which he kindly shared out. I have been doing some research on how to smoke it with as low a temp as i can and this looks like it would work. Have you done fish using this method ?? if so how did that turn out ??

Thanks again
Alan

What is that pizza pan resting on? and do you use it as a WSM? heat on the bottom, deflector above it, then cooking grate on top and you can fill up the entire grate right? as opposed to only being able to use half your grate without any deflector.

What is the pizza pan resting on? its not resting right on top of the snake of coals right?

Also in your new method, do you still get to use the entire cooking grate for food?

I am an interested in the best method to do LnS on the kettle and still use the entire grate for food. If I can use the whole grate, then I can hold off on upgrading to a WSM. I like that the snake method keep temps nice and steady in the kettle.

Hi enrico,

Did you fabricate that angled ring yourself?

Do you still need to put a pizza pan on top or does your cooking grate now go straight on top with a pan of water?

Looks very interesting and very clever upgrade to the snake for the weber OT

Minion all the way for me. Use firebricks as a heat diffuser and to add mass and you're good to go.

Snake/fuse is great if you're having trouble with vent settings. But it also allows more air through the grill since your temp is primarily controlled by limiting fuel rather than air. It also requires you to occasionally rotate your meat and lid.

I have no trouble holding 230-250f for 10+ hours using the minion method with a large charcoal basket and firebricks.

I use both methods and like them both. For pork butt I have a preference for Minion since I am not really concerned about fine temp control (I don't mind a 25 degree swing) for butt. If I am doing something that requires finer control (jerky for instance), I prefer the snake.

Alan - I think the snake would work fine for smoking salmon.

Enrico - thanks for the clinic on the snake - I've never done a 4x but I work in a 22.5 OTG. If there is a BBQ art museum somewhere - your snake picture belongs in it...

Regards,

John

Back