Smoky, Dark, Hot Salsa

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
This came from a recent post by @GrantT with a video from @Brett-EDH . This is a quick summary of the recipe -- please see the video to be sure I don't mislead you. https://tvwbb.com/threads/smokey-dark-salsa.91651/

In cast iron pan roast:
Roma Tomatoes - 2-3
Dried Anchos - 3
Dried Guajjilla - 3
Dried Habanero -3
Garlic - 10 cloves
Onion half
Cumin
Dried Chile de arbols - 10
Some dried flower?

Add all in blender plus:
2 tbs Ground black pepper
1 tbs cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt

1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions:
Roast until start to char and puff. Tomatoes slightly charred and wrinkled. Then add de arbol until some char well

Halve tomato, remove stems but not seeds from chilis, blend all ingredients then add lemon juice and blend some more

@K Kruger :
Use the onion and roast it as well. Slice it thickly then roast in a dry pan, as in the video above, till nicely charred. Cumin adds smoky notes as does dried chipotle or moro chiles (in addition to or instead of any other chiles you are using).

This came from a recent post by @GrantT with a video from @Brett-EDH . This is a quick summary of the recipe -- please see the video to be sure I don't mislead you. https://tvwbb.com/threads/smokey-dark-salsa.91651/

In cast iron pan roast:
Roma Tomatoes - 2-3
Dried Anchos - 3
Dried Guajjilla - 3
Dried Habanero -3
Garlic - 10 cloves
Onion half
Cumin
Dried Chile de arbols - 10
Some dried flower?

Add all in blender plus:
2 tbs Ground black pepper
1 tbs cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt

1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions:
Roast until start to char and puff. Tomatoes slightly charred and wrinkled. Then add de arbol until some char well

Halve tomato, remove stems but not seeds from chilis, blend all ingredients then add lemon juice and blend some more

@K Kruger :
Use the onion and roast it as well. Slice it thickly then roast in a dry pan, as in the video above, till nicely charred. Cumin adds smoky notes as does dried chipotle or moro chiles (in addition to or instead of any other chiles you are using).
I have done this in a similar fashion by subbing 20 chili de arbols and no habaneros (arbols are spicy so adjust to your heat level
We eat this very warm to hot in flavor)

No ACV and add juice of 2 limes instead.

Salt to flavor at the end. Add water to desired consistency using teaspoons at the end.

Toasting, not burning, the chilis is key to developing the flavors in this recipe. You can’t cheat your way to an amazing salsa so take the time do do it correctly.

And we keep all the seeds in the arbols, and we do de-seed the ancho and guajillos as those seeds don’t add much value to the recipe IMO.

Post your pics if you make this salsa.

And thank you @RichPB (richlife) for taking time to write down the recipe and process!! Kudos for a job well done!!!

That salsa sounds amazing! The one in the video looked awesome too. That’s my kind of flavors! I’d love it but I’d be the only one in the house!
I really like Flat Iron Pepper for my hot pepper flakes now, the store bought ones just don’t cut it anymore.
I really like these two!

561A4F8A-286E-483E-9D26-FD629AF8BA40.jpeg
D7978100-DD1F-48A6-B75D-03EE58E3F303.jpeg

Brett, thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking myself that lime would be better.

Duane, Yeah, it gets pretty lonely being the only one who enjoys the heat. My wife gave up on me and my friends don't trust me any more. 😅

Brett, thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking myself that lime would be better.

Duane, Yeah, it gets pretty lonely being the only one who enjoys the heat. My wife gave up on me and my friends don't trust me any more. 😅
Some MX restaurants will cheat with ACV when lime prices are too high. They have to maintain overall costs. Most people can’t tell the difference in the acids.

That salsa sounds amazing! The one in the video looked awesome too. That’s my kind of flavors! I’d love it but I’d be the only one in the house!
I really like Flat Iron Pepper for my hot pepper flakes now, the store bought ones just don’t cut it anymore.
I really like these two!

View attachment 56798
View attachment 56799
Just reduce the ingredients to a small batch. It can easily be done. I usually make two versions from the same batch by adding more arbols to the 2nd batch. This way the first run is “normal people” and the second pour off is for the insane people.

Back