Smoking Wood ???

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
I am building a cabinet out of 6/4 clear cherry plank and wondering if the the small cut offs could be used in my smokers. Any thoughts ?wood.jpg

The stock is going to be pretty dry, someone here told me that it does not tend to produce much flavorful smoke and generally just burns. I have a buddy (cabinetmaker) and I asked this very question when he offered me a big box of cuttings, cherry, oak, etc., I ended up using it for kindling in the fireplace.

Nice cabinet John!

The stock is going to be pretty dry, someone here told me that it does not tend to produce much flavorful smoke and generally just burns. I have a buddy (cabinetmaker) and I asked this very question when he offered me a big box of cuttings, cherry, oak, etc., I ended up using it for kindling in the fireplace.

Nice cabinet John!
Thanks for the info, I thought it maybe too dry for the smoker.
This project is the result of not finding what we wanted after weeks of looking and shopping for something that mounts on the wall below the TV. I hope to finish the assembly and spray the finish / clearcoat over the weekend.

Yep, the problem with knowing exactly what you want and not finding it...EVER! My buddy is working up a quote for me to do some oak built in cabinets.

Yep, what Timothy said. And most cabinet wood is dipped in chemicals before the kiln process, so that's another reason to avoid.
Great job on the base cabinet and a nice shop, also are you a Glazier?

Yep, what Timothy said. And most cabinet wood is dipped in chemicals before the kiln process, so that's another reason to avoid.
Great job on the base cabinet and a nice shop, also are you a Glazier?
Yes, have been a union glazier for 36 years, worked for the same shop for the last 27 of them. We have nice shop, about 12,000 square feet, 8 people in the office and 25 union carpenters / glaziers in the field. I'm able to use the shop for all car, boat, crazy projects. Been a great run.

I have used cabinet shop scraps for years, a buddy of mine had a small shop and he got his wood from an Amish sawmill, he sold out last year so I'm back to using some red oak I had slabbed up from a tree in my yard.

Yes, have been a union glazier for 36 years, worked for the same shop for the last 27 of them. We have nice shop, about 12,000 square feet, 8 people in the office and 25 union carpenters / glaziers in the field. I'm able to use the shop for all car, boat, crazy projects. Been a great run.
Nice brother!
So your getting close to retirement? Normal age for us is 65 but we can go early at 60 with full benefits.
I retired last year at 62 after 43 years.

I have used cabinet shop scraps for years, a buddy of mine had a small shop and he got his wood from an Amish sawmill, he sold out last year so I'm back to using some red oak I had slabbed up from a tree in my yard.
Sounds like you have a good source Steve.
Most indoor cabinet grade lumber is in the 6-8% moisture content range.
Most smoking wood is in the 20% MC range .
http://www.americanwoodproducts.net/moisture-content.html
https://www.smokinlicious.com/blog/can-hardwood-be-too-dry-for-cooking/

Thank you Timothy, I check those out and they were pretty informative, he did put the scraps in a bin outside kind of under the eves of the building, so maybe they drew some moisture from the elements, its a mute point now because he is done.

Nice brother!
So your getting close to retirement? Normal age for us is 65 but we can go early at 60 with full benefits.
I retired last year at 62 after 43 years.
Congratulations on your retirement !!

I'm 57 and could retire, the union will let you retire at 55 if you have enough hours but we only get 18 months of benefits and that's no matter what age you retire. I want to work at least 5 more years but need to figure out health coverage until I get to 65.

I remember 58 ( year I was born)
John, we can go earlier at 55 but they whack you 10% per year below age 60, so you loose 50% of your pension.
Does your union offer retirement seminars?
Mine does and I highly reccomend going to one.

Unfortunately they don't offer any seminars, I have been talking with the folks in their office and other guys that I worked with that have retired. Its more to process than I ever thought.

I finally got the cabinet finished.

shelf 1.jpgshelf.jpg

Back