Smoking with Maple

Jeff Andersen

TVWBB Fan
I had some branches fall off my maple tree (not sure what type of maple). Can I use that type of wood for smoking, and is that a strong or mild smoke?
Thanks

Jeff from Nor Cal

I've only used sugar and silver maple and yep its mild with a little sweet added in.
If your not sure of the type, do a test burn and check out the smell. If it's good than yes-sir go for it.
We have some bastard type of maples in our area that smell like toilet when lit.

Tim

There are four silver maples in my yard...
I've tried a test burn and did not care for the smell.
So, I ignore the silver maples in my yard.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Of the maples native to the west coast I know that vine maple is used as BBQ wood, the others(big leaf,rocky mountain to name a couple)I don,t know about.
I generally recommend the four maples used in syrup production-sugar, red, black and silver. Vine maple actually falls into this catergory, but the trees are not commercially viable.
I have also seen reportes of using norway maple.

Maple is my all time favorite. I love when a storm goes by and knocks down a few branches then I can get some free wood for smoking. Usually everyone is happy to let me haul away their garbage.

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
Maple is my all time favorite. I love when a storm goes by and knocks down a few branches then I can get some free wood for smoking. Usually everyone is happy to let me haul away their garbage.

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you season the wood at all or just use it green?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CliffCarter:
I have also seen reportes of using norway maple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that's what I have in my yard. I took one down when I built a garage and it smelled like arse when I burnt the clippings. Could be the species or the particular area have something to do with that. I get my sugar and silver maple online from NY state, cant comment on any from the mid-west or west coast besides just doing a test burn and follow your nose.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I've used Silver Maple and Cut Leaf maple (AKA Box Elder) and both worked fine. I dry before using. Perhaps lack of drying was why others found them nasty.

Back