Smoking with Crabapple Wood?

Kevin Walsh

TVWBB Fan
I am cooking some spares today. I have some crabapple wood that I had thought to experiment with. Has anyone in the community smoked with crabappple? To what result?

I appreciate any feedback . . .

Yes. It is not unlike apple.

(I grew up in Newington then moved to WH when I was 10. Ridgewood Rd. My brother is still there. He owns Kruger Arborists, a tree company.)

Kevin, thanks for the guidance. I will report on the results.

Meanwhile, it's great to hear from another West Hartfordite. Coincidentally enough, your brother was very recently recommended to us for some work on our property, and my wife just gave him a call a while back. I will mention the connection. Maybe we can work out an arrangement re: supplying smoke woods!

Tell him you know me from the Weber board. He burns wood for heat in the winter so has wood at the house. What types vary, but the last time I nabbed some I got hickory, apple, alder and pear. It's in log form so it needs to be chunked. I just chainsaw into slices then hatchet it up. Just tell him you smoke meats (so does he but probably hasn't for a while) and ask if can help you with some wood.

Will do. I am trying the Bourbon-Glazed Rib recipe from p. 69 of Cheryl & Bill Jamison's "Smoke & Spice" (Revised Edition).

Wish me luck . . .

I'd love to find some alder. I don't want to go thru major pains to locate and purchase it, but I do love the smell it makes when burning. Absolutely my favorite firewood. It would be fun to try with BBQ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I'd love to find some alder. I don't want to go thru major pains to locate and purchase it, but I do love the smell it makes when burning. Absolutely my favorite firewood. It would be fun to try with BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, This place is in WA so shipping shouldn't be too bad for you. Link to Alder wood.

Reporting back as promised. The crabapple worked well with the ribs, and I'm betting it would be just fine for pork butt. Given the season, maybe I'll try it with turkey next . . .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
Reporting back as promised. The crabapple worked well with the ribs, and I'm betting it would be just fine for pork butt. Given the season, maybe I'll try it with turkey next . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep to the Butt and Bird. Would work very well for Bacon also. Nice score there.

Back