Smoking Techniques

Bob E

TVWBB Member
What is the best way to smoke your food? I have read that some people wrap fist-sized wood chunks in punctured aluminum foil while others simply throw chunks directly onto the hot coals. Which is better? I thought you want to avoid smoker wood flare-ups.

Depends on the cooking environment, Bob. Using the WSM, I use wood chunks (like is advised in the instructional portions of the site here). But, when grilling, I'll use wood chips in a cast-iron smoke box.

If you use the Minion method, chunks work especially well by varying the depths at which you bury them. If you light a full ring of coals, you might have to add chunks later in the cook.

I find with grilling, your meat tends to be on for a shorter time, so you need the wood to smoke more quickly. I usually reverse sear, so I get some decent smoke from the smoke box. If I grill directly over the coals, I throw some soaked wood chips directly on the coals.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum Bob!
Depends on what you're cooking... long cooks, like pork butt, I use about 4 chunks of wood at least... spares and baby back ribs I also use chunks.
The only time I'll use chips is on the kettle grill when grillin' steaks or pork chops or chicken... short cooks. And then, I do not wrap in foil, simply drop on the coal. I do use a CI smoker when using a gas grill.
I guess it is up to the individual and his/her preferences.
Anyway, welcome aboard!

I think building a smoker pouch in foil conserves the chips a bit more, but I really prefer the pureness if you will of smokewood lighting off by hot coals. When I smoke, I always bury a few chunks in the unlit coals then put one or two more on top with the lit ones, providing I'm doing a Minion burn. I'm with Jim though... if I'm doing steaks, chops, or chicken on the kettle, I'll throw a handful of chips right over the coals. It adds that little extra kick that makes people ask how you did it.

I use chunks in the WSM... with proper vent settings, they smolder not burn
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I use a chunk or two in the Performer as well ...always with the lid on , again the smoke will last through out a steak grillin session
icon_wink.gif
No foil or smoke box or soaking required
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back