Smoking Salt

Scot Cummins

TVWBB Member
Anyone here smoked their own salt before? I didn't have much luck finding any old posts about it.

Saw some here: Meathenge
and figured at $95 a pound I should try and do it on my own.

Smoking salt is a simple affair.

I make a pan from a double layer of foil, spread out some kosher salt, put it in the smoker away from any drips, and toss the pan every 20 minutes or so to expose the crystals to the smoke evenly.

The salt will take on a faint brown color. Then seal and store in an airtight container.

HTH

Thanks for the advice Ken. As soon as the water evaporates out of the current batch I have going in there I will try that way and see if there is any difference.

Ken -

How long do you usually end up smoking to salt for, in total?

And, once it is smoked to perfection, what do you use it for?

I guess I leave it in around an hour and a half to two hours, overall. I usually do it at the end of the cook after I pull the meat off but the bullet still has enough coals to generate some smoke with a fresh small chunk of oak or hickory. I don't think there's much chance of oversmoking the salt without really trying.

As for what to use the smoked salt in, the sky's the limit. I don't use a lot of it since I prefer to keep the smoke flavor subtle. When I cook a steak on the stove in a cast iron skillet, I sprinkle the salt on the meat before it hits the skillet. I've also used it for making rubs when I've had to do lazy Q and the majority of the cook is done in the oven.

Hope this helps. Experiment and enjoy.

Ken

I actually had a friend that asked me to smoke some salt for me so I did a bit of research on this.

You want to keep the temperature extremely low. I mean like smoking cheese low. Apparently, if the temp gets above 200, it will burn off the smoke resin, on the salt and you have to start over again.

I lit one briquette at a time, with a piece of wood on top, and tried to keep things around 100 degrees (that's fehrenheight).

I smoked it for about 4 hours, and it gave the salt a nice smokey aroma, I think that longer will give the salt a nice dark look, which is what people are looking for.

But I can't figure out what I would do with this.

I have also seen smoked salt going for $160 per kg, so I think that getting it right might be worth the effort. Personaly, I have yet to figure out what smoked salt would be used for. If I want a nice smokey flavour, I will cook it with my WSM or my Weber one touch Gold.

I hope this is helpful, if anyone has a good use for the end result, i would be very interested to know.

Chris
WSM
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum (in the process of being modded)

Back