Smoking Prime Rib - Reheat ?

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
Want to smoke a PR for a dinner party next Saturday but I won't have time to do it that day....will reheating it that afternoon/evening work, or should I shelve the idea and cook something else that takes a lot less time instead ?

And if reheating would be ok, how ?

For a dinner party? Personally, I would be uncomfortable serving my dinner party guests something reheated. I think I would cook the PR in my kitchen oven using a faster cook temp. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

You can sous vide the roast then do the final roasting.
Could be the best your guests ever had.
Forgot the details. But it is the way a friend always does it. Iirc, sous vide, then throw in a hot oven for a short time.
For well doners, have a pan of coconut oil, sizzle, or just use gravy. (Rib eye method is sous vide then fry in oan for well doners.)

I agree with Tony, that’s the smart method.
And I also agree with Mark E I would not serve reheated anything to guests.
Do something else if the option is available.

Want to smoke a PR for a dinner party next Saturday but I won't have time to do it that day.

What time is sit down time? Let's work back from there.

6pm sit down.
5.45 carve
5.15 rest after hi temp sear in oven
5.00 put in 450F to 500F oven to crisp
4.45 have PR at approx 120F internal (maybe higher based on preference)

So with this time line, can you get it on a smoker early enough so it reaches 120F about 90 mins before service?

I think it's doable.

How large of a prime rib?
Bone in standing rib?
3 bone? 4 bone? 7 bone?

I'll dig though pics and find my time and pit temps from past cooks.

Here is a 3 bone standing rib. Time and pit temp are listed part way through

Last edited:
<shrug> Doesn't everybody schedule stuff this way?
I was taught to do a time study when I took home ec but, not everyone does this Mr. K. There’s no need to be too high falutin’,
It’s clear not everyone does. To be honest, I’d say more don’t than do!

<shrug> Doesn't everybody schedule stuff this way?

Often I just wing it.

I only work out a time schedule for a big cook when there is time pressure to have it done at a specific time, and then to be candid sometimes I over think it.

Sometimes dinner is late. Sometimes it is really late but if its' my family they know it will be ready when its ready.

Back