Smoking on Weber q2200

RobWhite

Success. I think I may have done it.
First of all please forgive me. I have a traeger pellet smoker that I use when smoking a half decent quantity of meat. I also own a Weber q 2200 o use for seating and quick convenient BBQ.
Due to kids getting old or household numbers recently diminished and I was wondering if for smaller quantities of meat I could use the Weber q.
Today I slow smoked some ribs for 5 hours at 150c and I have to say they were great. Maybe not as great as in the traeger but still acceptable.
Here's how.
First a smoking pouch. Silver foil folded into an envelope with traeger pellets added. Some holes made in the envelope.
Next aluminium water tray.
A silver foil wrapped cast iron griddle with a wire rack on it.
Pre heat to 150c. Place the ribs on the rack. Turn the dial to minimum. Come back 5 hours later.
They were really nice.

Where did you place the foil packet? How big was the rack of ribs? Did you take any pictures of the setup?
Sounds really interesting.

This has been discussed many times. I sadly cannot remember his name but he was from Australia and he had cooking on the qs wired down including smoking.

George, it was Phil Hartcher, AKA Captain Cook. He even put together a Weber Q "BBQ Cook Book" back in 2009 or so. It was a pretty good recipe collection that included plenty of lamb, seafood, a kangaroo fillet, and roadside chicken credited to the TVWBB.

From Captain Cook's cookbook: " You will come across the term indirect cooking within some of the instructions. The Q has a single burner so to cook indirectly I use a non-stick baking tray with a rack inside it and place this on a doubled over sheet of foil slightly bigger that the tray. I also use a doubled over sheet of foil with a roasting trivet placed on top and a hole in the middle of the foil sheet to let the fat drip out. You could use an aluminium drip tray placed on top of the grill with a cake cooling rack on top for an alternative indirect method of cooking (less cleaning involved)."

Here's my 12lb. brisket cook on my CharQ (2X00 equivalent).
aCECtds.jpg

g0BjARJ.jpg

aD8k3xm.jpg

gQojxG9.jpg

BJRMYkB.jpg

Here is the original TVWBB forum post by Phil Hartcher where he provided a link to a pdf document of his cookbook:

There, Phil links to another forum where he posts the link to download his cookbook, found at the bottom of that first post.

Phil asked nothing for a copy of his cookbook, but asked for you to consider a donation to a non-profit, so I will not dilute his message by posting a direct link to his cookbook.

Disclaimer, I'm an American with no ties to Phil or his philanthropic endeavors. :geek:

I like his cookbook...trying to find kangaroo fillet.

I reached out to Phil on his Aussie forum, hoping for some re-engagement on this topic. Fingers crossed.

Back