Smoking on the Gasser

Chips and pellets will always have a lite smoke due to being heat treated, it's the only way they can be sold on the chips and making pellets involves heat, for over 30 years I have used shag bark and I hate folks can't find it due to where they live. Until you have tried it you won't know what took you so long to try it lol

The other night I cold smoked a tri tip with two tubes of pecan chips.

It was 105F outside, pit temp was about 130F with the two tubes smoldering. They smoked for about 2 hours.

20240709_180102.jpg

Internal temp after two hours was about 95F. I was going to light coal but we were hungry and it was getting late so I finished it off on the E330. Center and Sear burner on high, outer burners on low. Lid down, flipped every minute or two until it came up to about 125F internal.

20240724_193633.jpg

I pulled it off, wrapped the top in foil and let it rest in the grill shut off for about 15 mins while store bought frozen onion rings were air frying.

20240724_195720.jpg

20240724_195741.jpg

Sorry, no plated pics. This tri tip was as good as any with slow smoke finished on the gasser. I slow smoked it in the WSK because I intended to light coal, but there's no reason this can't be replicated on a gasser with a raised rack as shown previously.

20240724_195959.jpg

Nicely done!!!(y)
Honestly --- even tho I would really 'like' to have a pellet smoker..... I just can't justify it - both from a cost and space standpoint... not to mention just ANOTHER pit to keep clean.

I cold smoked a tri tip with two tubes of pecan chips.
Looks fantastic!
Has it been your experience that chips give as much smoke flavor as pellets? Did you use two tubes to give more smoke time/flavor, or are two tubes your standard practice?

Back