Smoking on the Gasser

I just got the country style ribs on my gasser with the smoke tube.....

20240527_152501.jpg

As you can see - this setup is near ideal! The warming rack is actually just above the rear vent for the grill --- perfect for hanging out in the smoke!

20240527_152511.jpg

Gonna give it ~3 hours or however long the smoke tube last with one burner on low - left under the tube - then glaze and char it up a bit on the grates.....

I wish I could find a better solution than the tin cans for holding the warming rack that was more stable and 'classier'..... but it just works so well the way it is. I've got extra grates off a a B/C - CI and some crappy rod - that I could use so there would be more weight on there --- but that warming rack is just too easy to pull off and clean in the sink...... Its been working well for several years now and I'm pretty happy with it. I did swap out cans --- the original cans I had had the formed bottoms that tended to tip easily - I finally got some others that were 'sealed' top and bottom - I cut the bottoms out so that glazes/sauces don't collect.

Last edited:
One burner on low --- lid temp reading ~160ish - I've probed the high grate enough to know its running somewheres ~250ish depending on ambient....

20240527_163359.jpg

Just over an hour in --- looking good!

20240527_163417.jpg

I may flip them soon....

2.5 hours in.... I flipped them at the 1:20 mark - thought they were starting to dry out a bit so I started basting them --- a mixture of SweetBabyRays/mustard/chopped cherries/grated ginger/dash of Franks and thinned with cherry coke. I turned up the burner to medium just to get the fat to render a bit more - looks like I've got ~30-45 minutes of smoke left.

Oh and yeah..... it was a mixture of oak/cherry/pecan pellets in the tube.... THATS the beauty of a smoke tube (once you acquire all the flavors) --- you can mix the flavors any way you want!!! I pity the pellet grill guys that just buy the same/cheapest mixes..... You HAVE to try all the flavors!

20240527_180234.jpg

Then I'll move them to the grate for some good direct heat searing....

Last edited:
And four hours late they are done and resting.... I didn't really achieve a good sear on them, but they still look tasty! I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed.... I can't wait to dig into them...

20240527_192627.jpg

Oh --- and I will say that I never hit them with a temp probe....... You just have to do it by 'gut feel'......

Last edited:
I've been running this setup for a couple of years now.... Its no where near WSM or kettle level of smoke on larger/challenging cuts of meat, but for simpler/smaller/porous meats it works really well! Its a really efficient setup pellet and gas wise and really flexible. It is a really 'hands off' setup too --- I can walk away for hours and know that the temp won't change - and when I need/want more heat its as simple as turning the knob up or starting another burner. I can usually get a good finishing/charring/blackening just by turning on the burner below the elevated grate on low too --- but you need to be wary of the fat/grease/glaze that has dripped on them since there is usually an initial flare up or grease fire depending on what cooking.

I've been collecting 'mushroom cans' to use on my B thinking that they would be tall enuff to work well with a CI grate --- I haven't really needed more space for a cook yet that has pushed me use it yet tho - that much food justifies firing up the WSM or kettle, but its nice to know it will be ready if I need it. (Honestly, by 'B' has been sitting there clean and unused for the last two+ years :( )

Having a 4 burner would work REALLY well in my mind and give you a whole grates worth of 'elevated' rack space to work with AND ample grill level area for searing/finishing.

Its a shame that a lot of the newer models have lower/sloping hood profiles that would make this set up less useful. The later model grills are ideal for it tho!!!

Last edited:

Back