Smoking jalepenos to make chipotles

Tony H

Has anyone tried smoking jalepeno peppers to make their own chipotles? I threw a load of jalepenos into the WSM after smoking a butt. I smoked the peppers for about 2 hours at 200 degrees using hickory smoke.

I haven't tasted them yet. After they cooled a bit I stuffed them into a jar with a couple of garlic cloves & covered them with olive oil. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I know chipotles usually come packed in adobo but I wanted to see what the flavor was like without the adobo. I may pack the next batch into a more adobo-like mix using vinegar, etc.

Tony--

See here.

Chipotles are available dry--at least in the areas where they're most used--as well as canned in adobo. An oil pack as you did is a good way of preserving them too.

I've got 6 jalapeno plants on my back porch that are there solely for the purpose of making chipotles. About half of them are red, so I'm close to having a good first batch to throw on.

I personally much prefer my chipotles dry - not in adobo or anything else. That way I can grind them up for rubs or moisten them for sauces. Gives me more flexibility.

But that is just me.

I'm wondering how long I'll end up smoking these babies... planning on doing around 200 degrees, whole, but with a single toothpick hole in each for moisture to escape. I'm going to use hickory as well...

Thanks for the link Kevin. In hindsight, I did my attempt pretty blindly. I used green jalepenos & did them whole without any holes for moisture to escape.

That's probably why mine didn't really resemble a chipotle from a store. Oh well. I think though that my jalepenos (I can't call them chipotles) will still be pretty good...just a hint of smokiness. Should be good chopped up for salsa.

Next year I think I'll grow them so they can ripen up & get red like Adam's.

I'm sure they are great - regardless of what you call them.

How dried are they? If you were to toast them on a dry skillet, then throw them in a spice grinder, you've got some fodder for a serious rub. Plain old dried jalapenos powder works great. I'm sure yours will be even better than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
I've got 6 jalapeno plants on my back porch that are there solely for the purpose of making chipotles. About half of them are red, so I'm close to having a good first batch to throw on.

I personally much prefer my chipotles dry - not in adobo or anything else. That way I can grind them up for rubs or moisten them for sauces. Gives me more flexibility.

But that is just me.

I'm wondering how long I'll end up smoking these babies... planning on doing around 200 degrees, whole, but with a single toothpick hole in each for moisture to escape. I'm going to use hickory as well... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long do you smoke them? This is my 1st year at growing jalepenos and I too have 6 plants.

Any other suggestions of what you do with your peppers, I have so many I don't know what to do with them. But, that's not really a problem
icon_smile.gif
I've already made some huge batches of salsa and queso. I do have about 30 I'm drying out now to grind down to use in a rubs.

Been waiting to see how mine turned out from this weekend. They were smoked for about 12 hours at a temp of around 150 - 160. When I took them off they were wrinkled like prunes but still rubbery. Since I didn't have a dehydrator, put in oven at a warm 100 for an additional 12 hours. Then left on the counter for an add'l 8 hours. By then they could be broken into pieces which I put into coffee/spice grinder. Are they good and HOT! Give them a try, but they sure do take a long time without a dehydrator.

Smoked a batch 2 weekends ago. Smoked them for about 7 hours between 175 and 200 using pecan.

They came out great.

Ground some and used them dry.

Took about 10 more. put them in with a cup of cider vinegar, a couple of sliced garlic cloves, some onions, a cup of ketchup, and about two cups of water.

Simmered it on low for about two hours till the peppers were soft. Pureed it all in a blender then strained out the seeds.

Voila' Adobo sauce.

(Saved the seeds for..... some fun.)

Next time I think I'll mix in a stronger smoke wood.

Tony,

You mentioned that you put a couple of cloves of garlic in with your peppers and then covered with oil. You may want to pull them (garlic) outta there because they will ferment and could create the bacteria that causes botulism.

The reason I know this is because I wanted to store some and figured under oil would be a great way util I did some research. Pretty scary as to some of the stories I've read.

Just my $.02.

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea there was a risk. I do have my jar in the refrig. It's been in there about two weeks. I may take the whole thing out & simmer it for a while & jar it up again. Or I should eat them quick!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Can you heat the oil and garlic to remove the risk?
I have read of recipes that called for 15 min. of simmer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean afterwards? Understand that the danger of botulism isn't the spores themselves (which will die if heated to a high enough temperature) but the toxin that those spores produce. It's poison and no amount of heating is going to make it non-poisonous.

Back