Smoking in the rain...WSM

Rene Roy

TVWBB Fan
I am planning to smoke tonight through till tomorrow afternoon....it says we might have showers...will this effect...the WSM temps?

If it rains really hard the water will seep in to the charcoal bowl and drop your temps...if it doesn't rain really long you should be fine!

You could take a premptive measure and get it under cover or use a big umbrella or something...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

However, you should be ok barring a hurricane!

It can. It depends on whether or not ambient temps change much and, moreover, if the rains are accompanied by windy conditions to which your cooker is exposed.

A heavy downpour can really do a number. I cooked through a couple majors last fall. Once, I had no choice but to disassemble, pour out the wet fuel and accumulated water, reassemble, and re-start with new fuel. That was 3 hours into a low/slow lamb leg cook. No power in the house (this was right after a hurricane) so no choice. (The lamb was delicious; dinner was after 10pm though.
icon_smile.gif
)

If you can fashion a cover of some sort or have an umbrella available...

Better to have some sort of cover than not. If it's just a really light rain you'll be fine, but a good down pour dropped my temps under 200º in about 5 minutes. I opened the vents 100% and got the temp back up, but if it would have kept raining, I'm sure I would have been in trouble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
I purchase a clip-on umbrella that's used to clip onto chairs for around $3.00 at Walmart last year. Works great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ,

What section did you find the umbrella under and what time of year? I've looked several times but can't find anything with a clip on it.

My wife picked one up for me at Walmart the week we went to KY. The same week we got the remnants of Hurricane Dennis. Needless to say, we got some pretty heavy rains and the Chair-brella by Ozark Mountain Trail held up very well. A search comes up with some options, but folks are wanting $15.00 for these things. Apparently, they're a useful tool in photography as well. I never could find one listed at the Walmart or Sam's website. Yet I believe that they are made/marketed for Walmart.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rene R.:
I did a search too..and I couldn't find anything under $19 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just put an order for this umbrella below and at 12.95, with free shipping, a steal.

Umbrella

Karl,
That's similar to the one I have. Mine is the Ozark Mountain Trail Chair-brella. I picked it up at the end of the season last year in the camping section at Walmart when they were practically giving their stock away.

Back