Smoking in the Garage

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
With all of the wind we have been having lately, I'm wondering if anyone has smoked in the garage with the door open?

Not sure if I would. A few years ago I deep fried two turkeys back to back in my garage on a very cold Christmas and it took months for the fried oil smell to go away. But then again hickory smells better than fried oil.

I have sat my GOSM gas smoker just OUTSIDE the garage door and put a fan a few feet inside the garage to blow the smoke out of the garage. I don't think I would chance it with charcoal.

I was inspired a few years ago by a now (sadly)defunct grill store in the area that installed a commercial grill vent hood just inside the front window of the store and used to cook inside the store on a big Weber gas grill.

Been trying to figure out where would be a good place in the basement for that grill hood!

Pat

This was a post over at the BBQ Forum by Ed Roe:

Posted by roeboat on December 27, 2009 at 09:35:34:
In the past I've left my pit inside my shop and opened the (3) doors to ventilate and cooked that way. Today, just for giggles I pulled out my 4 gas meter and checked the carbon monoxide level. In just two minutes it was over 100 ppm. Unbelievable. Don't take chances. Ed

Have done this just barely inside the door of my two-door garage a couple of times when the wind was howling and the rain was pouring. Having two garage doors wide open seems like pretty good ventilation to me.

As to the smell... well, for a couple of weeks I had the best smelling garage in New Jersey!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
With all of the wind we have been having lately, I'm wondering if anyone has smoked in the garage with the door open? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it was a detached garage, I'd do it no problem. But if it was attached to the house, nope. JMO

I have a 2 car detached garage, I use my smoker in all the time, with at least 1 door open.

So far no problems, that I know of.

Will be using it for some chicken this week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
With all of the wind we have been having lately, I'm wondering if anyone has smoked in the garage with the door open? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and my cousin's do it all the time. We have the door maybe half open and vehicles are usually in front, which blocks some wind. Simple set up really.

I do it all the time also. My garage is detached. I do it just inside the door. The only thing I do is remove any gas cans when I use the chimney starter which I lite outside of the garage. Flames and gas fumes don't mix too well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
This was a post over at the BBQ Forum by Ed Roe:

Posted by roeboat on December 27, 2009 at 09:35:34:
In the past I've left my pit inside my shop and opened the (3) doors to ventilate and cooked that way. Today, just for giggles I pulled out my 4 gas meter and checked the carbon monoxide level. In just two minutes it was over 100 ppm. Unbelievable. Don't take chances. Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, refer to Dan N. above.

Second, Carbon Monoxide is colorless & odorless. It's also heavier than air so it drops down and seeps under doors and into corners. You can slowly build levels in your blood that will make you symptomatic in ways you may initially consider flu-like. (headache/nausea/fatigue) As the levels get higher, the symptoms get scarier.

Lighting up charcoal in or around an enclosure is potentially dangerous. Best not to do it. This is a common wintertime job for us as lots of people start getting similar ideas when the weather gets cold.

Regards,

Brett Fields
Fire dept of New York Paramedic
HazMat Medical Tech 2

NeverEver! Not even a lit cigarette goes near my garage, and it's detached. If anyone has ever experienced any type of structure fire (my garage burnt down in 1999), you are VERY leery about ANYTHING that would/could cause another fire.
The "official" cause of my garage fire: an electric garage door opener.
My garage was/is two cars lengths long and now with two doors, to drive thru.
Only now, NO electric openers.

Sorry to hear anout that fire Jim. I too lived through a large fire in my last apt this last Easter. The apt manager was using a dead potted plant on her balcony to put cigerate buts in. Long story short, 30ft flames burning my 16 unit building on Easter Sunday. Luckily no-one was injured other than some smoke inhalation I suffered. If it wasnt for my family on the other side of town I would have been sleeping on a cot in a high school gym courtsy the salvation army. Fire is very serious and I always have a quality fire extinguisher near my grills and smoker. I now even have to sleep with a fire extinguisher on my night stand. Seeing 30ft flames messed me up more than when I was robbed and pistol-whipped years ago. PLEASE EVERYONE RESPECT FIRE!

Back