Smoking in Jersey Channel Islands

NeilMacfarlane

Celebrated WSM day over the whole weekend. Cooked Persian kofte, pork tenderloin, pork leg and a small beef joint. Used my 18 for searing, grilling, roasting, smoking with and without the water pan. Such a versatile cooker and so easy to control.
My big lesson over the last couple of years is not to treat it only as a low and slow machine- it can be used in so many different ways and seems to excel at all of them! Also really enjoying Bill Gillespie’s books- very informative👍

I read the title of your post, and thought, wait a minute, New Jersey doesn't have Channel Islands ;) :)

Yes, the 18 is versatile. I never took full advantage of that because I always had a Kettle also.

Weren't the Channel Islands the only part of the UK that was occupied by the Nazis in WW II ? I think I read something the other day about a massacre or bombing of the Channel Islands ?

Hello Lynn thanks for reply. Yes, quite right. The Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans in WW2- the only part of the British Isles that were. We celebrate Liberation Day each May 9th. Jersey is the largest island but only 45 square miles- geographically much close to France than England.

Had my 18 for seven years now plus a recent mastertouch kettle and a spirit grill. Love them all but if I had to settle for only one it’d be the WSM every time😍.....

Hello Lynn thanks for reply. Yes, quite right. The Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans in WW2- the only part of the British Isles that were. We celebrate Liberation Day each May 9th. Jersey is the largest island but only 45 square miles- geographically much close to France than England.

Had my 18 for seven years now plus a recent mastertouch kettle and a spirit grill. Love them all but if I had to settle for only one it’d be the WSM every time😍.....

Thanks Tom. Just across the water (we are only 12 miles or so from France) we are within easy driving distance of the Normandy landing beaches and the cemeteries from ww2. It’s a journey I’ve made a few times now and the area is really worth a visit. A very humbling experience.....

My dad was with the 9 infantry division and landed on Omaha beach D + 2. I stood on the beach where he landed. I am very proud of him as he is a very decorated WWII veteran!

My understanding was that the Channel Islands are not part of the UK, they are self governing and considered to be Crown Dependencies .

Back