Smoking in 108° weather!

KenBourgault

Hey everyone, my first photo post as a new member. We had a very hot day in California's central valley and I began to wonder if I'd even need charcoal. ;) For a family get-together of 30 people I settled on 12 racks of St. Louis and 6 whole beer-butt chickens. Memphis dry rubbed the ribs and sauced half with the 3-2-1 method for just under 6 hours. Made my own version of a Hollerin' Whisky Sauce with waaay too much whisky so I cooked it down to the point where people stopped squinting when they took a whiff. For the chicken I took a shortcut on the hens (sort of) and found this great rub called Andy's that I purchased at Garlic World in Gilroy, CA, stuffed the birds as best as space would allow with yellow onion and whole garlic cloves and slit the skin to slip in fresh sliced garlic, smoked for 4 hours. The ribs came out flippin' fantastic and everyone now wants to marry me. The chicken was hands down the best I've ever cooked in any fashion. The skin was actually edible before foiling but I was more concerned with the meat and boy did that garlic add a nice layer of flavor.

During setup that morning it was already pushing 85 degrees and just setting up the arsenal had me sweating.

9183641503_b06ba3c436_z.jpg

This sauce was the boss, I would have been arrested had I not cooked it down all the way.

9183641449_3cf597db53_z.jpg

I used up the rest of my gal's Gentleman's Jack for the sauce so I thought'd be cool to use it to serve.

9183644319_049577a9c4_z.jpg

I should have taken pictures after the ribs were rested and cut, but I was one busy guy and by then the margaritas were flowing.

9185859360_5fb407d663_z.jpg

The chickens came out a little on the sexy side. I used 2 Weber poultry roasters, 2 cheapo-wire beer can stands and then the final two I used just the beer cans themselves.

9183641483_45b101f3bf_z.jpg

All in all it was a fantastic day despite the heat. The food was very well received and you know how they say we cooks are the most critical? Well they are right but I was very pleased with the results of the day. Things I'd do differently? I'd sauce the whole set of ribs rather than serve 1/2 dry and the other 1/2 wet, the dry came out great with the sauce on the side, but everyone seemed to gravitate toward the wet in the serving trays. The chicken was the best I've ever made and the ribs were very close to being the best. You know it's going to be a hot day when you're wearing gloves just to setup the smokers! :) The black dome thermometers registered well over 110°.

On a side note we took this picture of the San Luis Reservoir in Merced County on the way to the party. I don't know that I've ever seen it so low this early in the season. Makes me think twice about leaving any water running longer than necessary.

9185859580_7d4a780366_z.jpg

I went out to use my WSM the other day and it was hotter than blazes. With it sitting in the direct sunlight my dome temp was over 150. Looks like you kept busy and wound up with some good looking ribs. Hope you replenished your fluids with plenty of cold ones.

Chicken and ribs look amazing. You were one busy guy. That's a little too hot for me but the view was beautiful.

looks like a great day! I saw someone on the interwebs baked cookies on their dashboard...now thats hot! Apparently it took most of the day as the temp inside the car was somewhere around 180 ish.

Thanks for all the kind words and welcomes everyone!

Yes I alternated water between each adult beverage. The domes were 110 degrees when it was just 85, who knows how hot they'd have gotten once the temperature peaked.

A couple of things I learned on that cook, is the WSM, whether it's the 18 or the 22 have excellent heat control. I realize I wasn't battling cold weather or wind but I was pleasantly surprised how well the heat stayed not only in the SMOKE range on the thermometer but how it sat at 225-250 throughout the cook. I was joking early on, before the coals settled that I'd be tossing in ice cubes instead of briquettes. So far I'm impressed with the 22" WSM as far as ease of use when compared to the 18" that I'm most familiar with.

Finally coupled with a cheapo sunhat I found at Wally World; I went to a sporting goods place and located one of those soak-able neck towels, not sure if it's cool to tell the brand but that puppy really made my day much more manageable.

Next cook I'll document a lil' better in my comfy Santa Cruz, CA weather. :)

Cheers!

Back