Smoking frozen Tri tip?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Has anyone done this?

I'm thinking low temp 180 to 200 and just do my normal smoke to 120 internal then reverse sear.

I just pulled the tri tip out of a -7F freezer and expect it will be a while until it thaws.

I've smoked a frozen pork shoulder with good results and it's my guess not much additional time was required. If 180-200 is your typical preference then I say go for it; I smoke at higher temps but that doesn't mean your choice is wrong :)

Thanks. The lower smoking temp (under 200) I do for tri tip gets me an extra 30 to 45 mins of smoke time.

Pork shoulder I cook hotter.

I'll give it a try.

Tri tip had 2 1/2 hours on the counter.

Went on at 4.15pm

It's 95 in the shade today. The lowest smoke setting gets me 185 to 190 with the lid propped open.
20210828_161445.jpg

Tri tip sat out for an hour on the counter but was rock hard when I put it on.

4.55pm,
40 mins later I put a meat probe in. Still hard center. The mesh grill is what I'm using to prop open the lid a little.

20210828_165456.jpg

5.55 pm internal is 95. Smoker temp settled in is at 195. It's still hot outside.

Last edited:
Overall smoking from frozen worked. Added about an hour to my normal slow smoke until 120, cut on the seam and then sear.

I would rather have cooked it cold, not frozen but in the end it worked out.

@Brett-EDH the wine was tasty. I meant to tag you but I was hungry. LOL.

I opened it early and had some cheese with it.

Floral, acidic nice finish. I've had it open for about 4 hours and it's opened up nicely.

Thanks!

View attachment 35907
Glad you enjoyed it. We have more to share when you’re up to it. Just lmk. I really like it with a juicy, fatty ribeye. The acid cuts the fat perfectly, just as you did with that wonderful cheese. Salut!

Glad you enjoyed it. We have more to share when you’re up to it. Just lmk. I really like it with a juicy, fatty ribeye. The acid cuts the fat perfectly, just as you did with that wonderful cheese. Salut!
Thanks Brett.

We'll have to do some food wine tasting.

That looks darn tasty.
I am about to start one and will be happy if it looks near as good as yours.

Many years ago when I worked in a steak house if We needed a quick thaw on our meats we would put them right in front of an air fan.
That works amazing fast and in my opinion better than having to mess with a water dunk.

Once again that looks nice and I now have the munchies :).

Cooked another semi frozen tri tip.

Slow smoked with oak and some mesquite at 200 to 220 F for a couple of hours. It was about 115F internal when I took it off before searing.

Had a really hot bed of coals for the sear and overall it was excellent.

20230430_190135_1.gif20230430_191727.jpg

This one is more to my liking, with that hard sear. Looks like you took it to about 130-135. What did you use for rub SPG?
Montreal Steak seasoning. Pull temp was 127 in the thick part.

BTW I always bring my frozen tri-tip to room temp before grilling. What advantages are there to cooking cold... except for convenience of course?

Longer time smoking? Gets it done faster. This was a change of plans so it didn't get thawed in time.

Or cheap beer :)

Nope.

After seeing these TT cooks, I've got to get one going, got three of them in the freezer calling my name.

Back