Smoking Chunks in New Jersey

Dave H

Hello All,

I just moved to northern New Jersey and can't ind a place to buy various flavors of smoking chunks. This is not exactly BBQ country but you would expect some place to carry smoking wood. it seems in jersey, the locals think BBQ is only a warm weather sport. They don't seem to get it.I mean, I am only 30 miles from NYC.I used to live in Jacksonville, FL
icon_smile.gif
and could always find wood at BBQ's Galore. Mail order is such a ripoff!

Any help would be most appreciated.

"The garden state" any orchards in your area?
Seems like there would plenty of apple, hickory, oak, and maple in your area.

I thought I saw some bags of smoke wood hanging over the check outs at Ramsey's Sport shop on rte 17NORTH (the one closer to rte 4, they have a store a couple of miles further up on rte 17 closer to NY)

Home Depot will probably have bags of hickory....Also I grew up in north jersey (Wayne)and there is loads of oak and maple that you should be able to find...any downed branches, etc.

Hickory & mesquite are at any Big Box, I've used Cabela's for other woods. They don't kill you on shipping and it's quality.

My front yard also has a pin oak and a maple which got pruned earlier this year
icon_smile.gif
Maybe your new neighbors need some pruning help too.

thanks for the replies. I can buy oak and cherry at firewood stands and cit it into chunks with a chainsaw i suppose. It would be nice to simply buy chunks of various types of wood flavors like alder, pecan, etc.Even the chunk selection this time of the year in Jersey is terrible. The locals don't get it.They don't BBQ or grill in the winter. All you can find are hickory chips (boring!!).

Back