Smoking cheese

Eric Kinnicutt

Hi guys ive been lurking for awhile now and all the info is great but i have not seen much on smoking cheese, does anyone do this on their WSM?

Just did a load of pepper jack, mozz and sharp cheddar (did some almonds too) this Monday night. Used the 12" amazen tube in my 22" WSM. Temps never went north of 64 deg's. smoked for About 2.5 hours but that 12" tube ran for a little over 5 hours. I just started experimenting, so I'll know how it went with the cheese in another 12 days. The almonds were a big hit at the office. So far, first impression on the 12" tube, awesome. So awesome, I've already ordered the 5X8 Pellet version.

I just received a 12" Amazen Tube last week but have yet to test her out. Going cheese shopping this weekend...

Not to hijack this thread... the originator may be interested as well: What will you use the 5X8 Pellet version for?

Dwain, I'm thinking about dabbling in Nova Lox etc. My plan is to use the 5x8 for anything requiring more that 5-6 hrs of smoke. Given the quality of the 12" tube, I'm sure it's going to be awesome. Just received notice that the ebay seller was actually out of inventory. I'm re-buying it straight from the mfg, although they are currently backordered...

I smoke cheese in my 18.5" WSM every winter. All I do is light 4 to 6 coals in my chimney starter, then use tongs to arrange them on the cooking grate, then put one chunk of cherry wood on top. I place the cheese on a sheet of aluminum foil, then use a probe or toothpick to poke holes in the foil to allow the smoke to come up from underneath. I smoke my cheese for about 45 minutes. I run with an empty water pan. Works great every time.

I smoke my cheese with a ProQ Cold Smoke Generator http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html Which is sort of like the device Bob uses. it will go into my WSM. I smoke local Dutch cheese for about 5 hours, then vacuum seal it and leave it in the fridge for a week. That way the heavy smoke flavor will mellow out. If you eat it straight away it tastes like an ashtray.

Back