Smoking at or lower than 200*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
What about smoking ribs at say 180*-200*? How much longer are we talking? What about other meats (briskets, pork butts, et.)? What about chicken parts (thighs, legs, 1/4 chicken)? I somtimes get confused about the 140* min temp. Does this mean just the surface of the meat has to get above 140* before the 2 hour mark? Where I kinda get confused is in my desire to create a good smoke ring and practice safe food handling. What about smoking these meats at even lower temps?

Steve....

If cooking at those kind of temps, it becomes nearly impossible to get your meat cooked. You have to figure that ribs, pork butt and brisket all need to be cooked to around 190-200? to be tender.

If your cooking heat is only 180?, you will never get there. If it is 200?, you will get there but it will take a very long time....no idea how long, but many Texans smoke thier briskets at 200? and will smoke for 24 hrs.

Food safety......for many of our meats, the 140? would pertain to the outer layer of meat. The exception..if you are cooking a boneless butt.

The reason....the outermost layer is the only portion of the meat that came into contact with "outside" (human) intervention. In the case of a boneless butt, it has been de-boned, which means a knife has been inserted to the innermost portion of that meat.

Ground meat is by far the most "dangerous" meat to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back