Smoking a goose

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I was in Walmart Neighborhood market the other day and I saw that they have frozen goose next to the frozen turkeys. I started thinking that this might be something that would be good to try. Does anyone have any experience with cooking or smoking goose? Any recipes or tips?

While waiting for replies, click the "Find" button above and do a search on "goose". Lots of past discussion.

Regards,
Chris

I've never smoked goose but I have cooked them in the oven. The geese I have done were wild Canadian geese that I've gotten from friends who hunt. They are very lean and really don't have much meat other than the breasts. The advice given to me was to cover the breast with bacon and then roast in the oven like chicken or turkey. I know thats not much help but thats all I've got. Good luck and post your results.

Most but not all domestic geese are very fatty. I have not done one in a WSM but have done them in a kettle. You can high-heat grill/roast or, if fatty, you can low/slow. You won't get good skin on the latter approach.

If the goose is fatty you can prep it as for Peking duck by removing the excess fat, pricking the skin all over (but not the flesh) and dipping it in boiling water (neck down for one min, then tail down for one min), or pouring boiling over it two or three times, or steaming it by setting it on a rack in a roaster, covered, with simmering water underneath. In any of these cases you'll get the best skin on a high-heat cook if you air-dry the goose in the fridge.

If the goose is fatty it will throw off a lot of fat while cooking. You really need something under the bird to catch it or you'll have a mess.

A baste is nice for a high-heat goose; a sauce is good for a low/slow after cooking (and after removing the skin and the meat from the bones). Like duck, goose does well with fruits (common are the stone fruits like cherries, prunes, plums but pomegranate is delicious with goose as well), sherry, honey, onion, celery root, sage, thyme, and also star anise, cardamom--a few of the more exotic spices.

Have done two domestic geese over the past two Thanksgivings on my WSM. Another one has been requested for this year. As noted by Kevin a goose is extremely fatty. What I did was to brine the goose for a couple of days. Took out of brine the night before smoking, rinsed several times and placed in refer overnight. Prior to placing on smoker poked holes in the skin in the joint between the thigh and breast. Stuffed with cutup apples, oranges and onions (you will end up throwing this stuff away). Use your favorite poultry rub underneath and on top of skin. Placed on top rack breast side down. Maintained WSM temp of 275 - 300. Can't remember the exact time but pull when breast is around 140 - 145. Very moist and flavorful. Used sand in pan (could go empty with foil liner). Regardless there will be a lot of fat in the pan. Good luck.

Back