Smoking 80 lbs Spareribs for July 4th

George Nenni

Stuffing my 22 inch Weber Bullet with 80 pounds spareribs, cut to St. Louis style, but keeping tidbits (close to the door for early tasting!). 3rd year for the 4th of July Rib Fest, first year 60 pounds, last year 70 pounds, this year pushing the limits up to 80 pounds. Keep finding new ways to add racks (thanks to info from this site), and more effective rib racks. We start at 5:00 am, start smoking at 6:00 am, and eat at 2:00 pm. Full bag of Kingsford with Minion method, water bowl filled to 2 inches from top, 6 chunks apple wood.

These are the two approaches I've used so far, but 2 large rib racks bought from Lowes (generic brand, non Weber brand, much better than thin ones from Weber).

flippedgrate.jpg

johnson_grate1.jpg

wow,George. You got to show me how to stuff the WSM so packed! The pics you put up aren't showing up for me. But I'd sure be interested in finding out how you did it.

Steve, I had to right click them and view separately.

Pretty clever using the two grates like that. Never would have thought that. Ima have to try it! Thanks

80lbs, impressive,what is the minion method? I've seen this talked about before. I have a brinkman smoke n pit but the 22.5 wsm must have a larger capacity

I cant see the pictures. the ink is broken and I I get a 403 Forbidden error code. Football is coming up and I wanna do a ton of ribs. I'm sure this will help me tremendously.

Back